POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:41:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: GioSeregni
Date: 20 Nov 2023 16:45:00
Message: <web.655bd2d784c692a35464b73e59126100@news.povray.org>
> "GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Hi all, first I apologize for my bad english.
> > I finished now developing (basic version no color at this moment)  a small
> > transformation tool from STL mesh, in the center, to mesh with smooth_triangles.
> > But I have a problem. Too smooth. I thought that the length of the normal vector
> > caused a gradation, but this is not the case, even if I reduce the length of the
> > vectors the smoothness level remains the same. What am I doing wrong?
> > Thanks in advanced!
> > Giovanni
>
> Glassner, Andrew, Building Vertex Normals from an Unstructured Polygon List,
> Graphics Gems IV, p. 60-73, code: p. 64-73, vert_norm/.
> https://www.realtimerendering.com/resources/GraphicsGems/gemsiv/vert_norm/

Thanks, but I my code with normals works fine, see my code and render pictures
above.
Furthermore, even if I am able to calculate the normals, in the binary STL files
to be converted, they are already present and available.
The question is about the level of the smooth.
I would like to get the effect of a smaller radius in the rounding illusion.
As Bald Eagle suggested I'm trying to work on the single "weight" of normals in
their average for each point  (which creates the smooth effect) , considering
the size of each triangle.
I hope I have explained myself, I have little command of English, and the
question is not very simple
Many Thanks!
G.