POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : color_maps : back to basics : Re: color_maps : back to basics Server Time: 26 Jun 2019 10:28:15 GMT
  Re: color_maps : back to basics
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Apr 2019 17:30:02
"Stephen Klebs" <skl### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Would like to see gradient contours other than straight, linear curve. Like
> Gaussian, cove or half-round. Or custom function.

That would be cool. Probably won't happen until 4.0...  ;)

I think you could closely approximate anything you'd like by using an array and
filling in points by interpolating with the desired function.
Then use the array to define the color map.

It's a workaround, but for most things it probably gets you close enough.
Like most things, it could probably be written as a macro, to accept a
[partially filled] array containing a few defined points, the number of
subdivisions desired between 0 and 1, and the interpolation function.