POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D Glass-like block and problem with inner faces : Re: 3D Glass-like block and problem with inner faces Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:44:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Glass-like block and problem with inner faces
From: clipka
Date: 29 Dec 2015 11:35:43
Message: <5682b65f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.11.2014 um 20:54 schrieb Alain:

Just stumbled across this old thread, and thought I'd clarify two things
about "merge" that might still deserve mention, if only for the records:

(1)

> The inside_vector is required for difference and intersection to work
> properly with meshes, not for union/merge.

"merge", too, requires inside_vector, because it uses insideness tests
to tell interior and exterior surfaces apart so that it can suppress the
interior ones.

The /only/ CSG operation that works properly without "inside_vector" is
"union".

(2)

"merge" is /not/ suited as a wrapper to eliminate surfaces inside one
existing object; it only suppresses surfaces of any of its children that
lie within any of the /other/ children.

For instance, "merge { union { ... } torus { 1.0, 2.0 } } " does not
eliminate the inner surfaces of the union, nor the spindle-shaped
surface region inside this self-intersecting torus (*); it only hides
the surface sections of the union that are inside the torus, and the
surface sections of the torus that are inside the union.