POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Searching the Help file. Server Time: 20 Jun 2019 07:47:05 GMT
  Searching the Help file. (Message 1 to 10 of 30)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Searching the Help file.
Date: 1 Feb 2016 13:52:23
Message: <56af6317@news.povray.org>
There has been some talk about how the search function in the Help 
file is broken.
I had forgotten about this workaround until I used it without thinking.
When you search for a keyword and Help takes you to the top of a large 
page. Left click on the right hand pane and press Ctrl + F to bring up a 
search box. There you can search for your keyword.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 1 Feb 2016 22:43:51
Message: <56afdfa7@news.povray.org>
On 2/1/2016 8:52 AM, Stephen wrote:
>   There has been some talk about how the search function in the Help
> file is broken.
> I had forgotten about this workaround until I used it without thinking.
> When you search for a keyword and Help takes you to the top of a large
> page. Left click on the right hand pane and press Ctrl + F to bring up a
> search box. There you can search for your keyword.
>

Some of the pages are simply too long. I can barely grab onto the 
scrollbar handle.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 2 Feb 2016 06:02:02
Message: <56b0465a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16-02-01 17:43, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/1/2016 8:52 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>   There has been some talk about how the search function in the Help
>> file is broken.
>> I had forgotten about this workaround until I used it without thinking.
>> When you search for a keyword and Help takes you to the top of a large
>> page. Left click on the right hand pane and press Ctrl + F to bring up a
>> search box. There you can search for your keyword.
>>
>
> Some of the pages are simply too long. I can barely grab onto the
> scrollbar handle.
>
>
> Mike

Yes, section 3 is huge. It shoulod be broken down to more manageable 
chunks, like a section for the primitives, one for the lights, one for 
the cameras,...


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 2 Feb 2016 10:05:45
Message: <56b07f79$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/1/2016 10:43 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 2/1/2016 8:52 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>   There has been some talk about how the search function in the Help
>> file is broken.
>> I had forgotten about this workaround until I used it without thinking.
>> When you search for a keyword and Help takes you to the top of a large
>> page. Left click on the right hand pane and press Ctrl + F to bring up a
>> search box. There you can search for your keyword.
>>
>
> Some of the pages are simply too long. I can barely grab onto the
> scrollbar handle.
>
>
That is why the pop up search box is handy. The focus jumps to the first 
found search item. At least in the windows version it does.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 3 Feb 2016 04:30:23
Message: <56b1825f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/2/2016 5:05 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 2/1/2016 10:43 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 2/1/2016 8:52 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>>   There has been some talk about how the search function in the Help
>>> file is broken.
>>> I had forgotten about this workaround until I used it without thinking.
>>> When you search for a keyword and Help takes you to the top of a large
>>> page. Left click on the right hand pane and press Ctrl + F to bring up a
>>> search box. There you can search for your keyword.
>>>
>>
>> Some of the pages are simply too long. I can barely grab onto the
>> scrollbar handle.
>>
>>
> That is why the pop up search box is handy. The focus jumps to the first
> found search item. At least in the windows version it does.
>

It is still a PITA to scroll up and down that page though. It's hard to 
grab the scrollbar handle, and when you do grab it you can't move it in 
small increments. This is easily solvable by just splitting the page 
into a few smaller portions.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 3 Feb 2016 18:30:27
Message: <56b24743$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.02.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> It is still a PITA to scroll up and down that page though. It's hard to
> grab the scrollbar handle, and when you do grab it you can't move it in
> small increments. This is easily solvable by just splitting the page
> into a few smaller portions.
> 
> Mike

Still using a mouse without a scroll wheel?


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 3 Feb 2016 19:44:45
Message: <56b258ad@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/2016 1:30 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 03.02.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> It is still a PITA to scroll up and down that page though. It's hard to
>> grab the scrollbar handle, and when you do grab it you can't move it in
>> small increments. This is easily solvable by just splitting the page
>> into a few smaller portions.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Still using a mouse without a scroll wheel?
>

Never designed a GUI application before?


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 3 Feb 2016 22:33:14
Message: <56b2802a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16-02-03 13:30, clipka a écrit :
> Am 03.02.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> It is still a PITA to scroll up and down that page though. It's hard to
>> grab the scrollbar handle, and when you do grab it you can't move it in
>> small increments. This is easily solvable by just splitting the page
>> into a few smaller portions.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Still using a mouse without a scroll wheel?
>

If you have a few hours available to invest into scrolling through that 
page... Beter use the Page Up and page Down keys to navigate here.


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 4 Feb 2016 01:16:22
Message: <56b2a666@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/2016 5:33 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 16-02-03 13:30, clipka a écrit :
>> Am 03.02.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> It is still a PITA to scroll up and down that page though. It's hard to
>>> grab the scrollbar handle, and when you do grab it you can't move it in
>>> small increments. This is easily solvable by just splitting the page
>>> into a few smaller portions.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Still using a mouse without a scroll wheel?
>>
>
> If you have a few hours available to invest into scrolling through that
> page... Beter use the Page Up and page Down keys to navigate here.

I think I've also noticed the page not loading 100% before the program 
tries to resolve a link or index. I.e. the navigation falls short of the 
target anchor because the page hasn't fully loaded yet. Which shouldn't 
happen in document stored on the local hard drive.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching the Help file.
Date: 4 Feb 2016 01:17:37
Message: <56b2a6b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/2016 8:16 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 2/3/2016 5:33 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Le 16-02-03 13:30, clipka a écrit :
>>> Am 03.02.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>>> It is still a PITA to scroll up and down that page though. It's hard to
>>>> grab the scrollbar handle, and when you do grab it you can't move it in
>>>> small increments. This is easily solvable by just splitting the page
>>>> into a few smaller portions.
>>>>
>>>> Mike
>>>
>>> Still using a mouse without a scroll wheel?
>>>
>>
>> If you have a few hours available to invest into scrolling through that
>> page... Beter use the Page Up and page Down keys to navigate here.
>
> I think I've also noticed the page not loading 100% before the program
> tries to resolve a link or index. I.e. the navigation falls short of the
> target anchor because the page hasn't fully loaded yet. Which shouldn't
> happen in document stored on the local hard drive.
>
>
> Mike

If I have the time I may look at the docs and see why the indices are 
all messed up. It should be a simple but maybe tedious task, since I've 
worked on HTML Help documents in the past.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.