POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Paint programs and heightfields Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:54:39 EDT (-0400)
  Paint programs and heightfields (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: SharkD
Subject: Paint programs and heightfields
Date: 28 Aug 2009 00:42:20
Message: <4a97602c$1@news.povray.org>
This forum thread describes some of the pitfalls of using paint programs
to create heightfields.

http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=639

Some of this information should probably be incorporated into the
documentation.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Paint programs and heightfields
Date: 28 Aug 2009 08:46:15
Message: <4a97d197@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> This forum thread describes some of the pitfalls of using paint programs
> to create heightfields.

> http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=639

> Some of this information should probably be incorporated into the
> documentation.

  I'm not sure it's the duty of the official POV-Ray documentation to
comment on the pixel bit depth capabilities of third-party image manipulation
programs.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm not sure it's the duty of the official POV-Ray documentation to
> comment on the pixel bit depth capabilities of third-party image manipulation
> programs.

But the docs do say, "The GIF, PNG, PGM, TIFF and possibly SYS format
files are the only ones that can be created using a standard paint
program." This misrepresentation should be clarified.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm not sure it's the duty of the official POV-Ray documentation to
> comment on the pixel bit depth capabilities of third-party image manipulation
> programs.

Oops. Forgot this bit too: "Because PNG files can store up to 16 bits in
grayscale images they will be as smooth as TGA and PPM images."

-Mike

Post a reply to this message