POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Which archive format? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Which archive format? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Which archive format?
Date: 7 Apr 2009 07:19:59
Message: <49db36df@news.povray.org>
I've started to rough out some of the issues with extracting doc packages
from the wiki, and I have a question about what format to bundle the
packages of files that the user can download. I've done some research but
find one area that I'm out of my element ..... Mac OS.

After looking at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_(file_format)

Its seems that zip format of one flavour or another is supported across all
the platforms that POV cares about.
I'm good to go with win/linux/unix, but like I said mac .... well the wiki
article eluded to support being added to later versions of mac os.

Is zip format a safe bet ... or would you use something else?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> After looking at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_(file_format)
>
> Its seems that zip format of one flavour or another is supported across all
> the platforms that POV cares about.
> I'm good to go with win/linux/unix, but like I said mac .... well the wiki
> article eluded to support being added to later versions of mac os.

Mac OS is unix, so whatever works for one should mostly be fine for the other.
I see usually see tar archives compressed with gzip or bzip2, but zip archives
work fine too.  Thanks for checking rather than assuming though.  Nothing
beats, "Thanks for sending that file... what do I do with it?"

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Its seems that zip format of one flavour or another is supported across all
> the platforms that POV cares about.
> I'm good to go with win/linux/unix, but like I said mac .... well the wiki
> article eluded to support being added to later versions of mac os.

Wait, do you mean Mac OS Classic (<= 9)?  Does anyone still use that?  The most
common format for that was .sit or .hqx, but I recall having an easy time
finding a zip expander since everyone uses that anyway.  That really takes me
back!

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Its seems that zip format of one flavour or another is supported across
all
> > the platforms that POV cares about.
> > I'm good to go with win/linux/unix, but like I said mac .... well the
wiki
> > article eluded to support being added to later versions of mac os.
>
> Wait, do you mean Mac OS Classic (<= 9)?  Does anyone still use that?  The
most
> common format for that was .sit or .hqx, but I recall having an easy time
> finding a zip expander since everyone uses that anyway.  That really takes
me
> back!

ah ... that's the break point I was looking for! Unless someone chimes in
I'm going to go with > 9 as my target audience.

Thanks for the input ....

Cheers
Jim