POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Documentation Migration Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Documentation Migration (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Documentation Migration
Date: 18 Jan 2009 10:15:58
Message: <497347ae@news.povray.org>
Hey Everyone,

Now that the povwiki is backonline I thought I'd let you folks in on what
I've been up to ....
I did some looking around on the povwiki and I see that there have been a
couple of attempts made. Curious what stalled the efforts?

Chris has supplied me with the documentation "input" side files and I've
written a perl script that builds each book one section at a time. I've
loaded that output into my wiki "sandbox" and have almost completed a QA of
EVERY page. It's not looking too bad. I have so far just found one group of
going to have to reread what W3C has to say about that but my first read
how the wiki renders some tags that follow the occurrence of the </p><p>
tags. More than several input side docs have EXACTLY this occurrence. If you
think about it ... it's kind of bad form to signal the end of one paragraph
and the beginning of another all on one line like that. My first cut will be
to have my perl script deal with it. If I have time I'll see if it's really
a bug with wiki (html passes it on just fine btw) and follow up. Once I get
the files all into wiki format I'll need to open that PHP book I got for
Christmas and start writting the wiki extensions that will extract the
documentation in it's various flavors. Hope I can ask for help if I need it.
Any PHP programmers out there?

Finally, I'm going to be building into the Documentation namespace and I see
some files already there. Since I'm still a ways off from posting content
it's not a problem yet, but will eventually have to be dealt with. At this
point deleting is probably NOT the right thing to do. I noticed that some of
these files made use of wiki Category and I seem to recall a gothcha
associated with deleting files that are in a Category. The safe bet would be
to rename them, so 60 days from the date of this post I'm going to rename
those files. PLEASE say something now if you have concerns about those
files.

Jim

Post a reply to this message