POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Suggesting changes to the Radiosity Option-Explanation Server Time
23 Apr 2024 09:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Suggesting changes to the Radiosity Option-Explanation (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Suggesting changes to the Radiosity Option-Explanation
Date: 17 Jul 2003 19:28:32
Message: <3f173120@news.povray.org>
I've been tinkering with radiosity these last days and
found (with the aid of Mael and Christoph Hormann)
some things which might be more helpful when explained
in the docs properly.

The main issue I've had trouble with was the actual effect
of always_sample. It didn't, as written in the Docs, stop
POV-Ray from taking additional samples during the final
trace. It does reduce the amount of samples significantly, but
doesn't completely leave them out. This had proven to be the
main issue why the two-pass method (which had been
"developed" by several members of the community) actually
works so well (I also describe it on my homepage, URL is
in my sig).

In specific, this is what I'd suggest to change:

6.11.11.2.2 always_sample
The boolean switch always_sample forces POV-Ray to try only
to use the samples gathered from the pretrace passes. If set to
"off", POV-Ray will use a nearest_count of 1 when doing the
final trace. This reduces the gathering of samples during the final
trace to the bare minimum needed, and may reduce splotchiness.
By default, it is set to "on". It may also be useful when reusing
previously saved radiosity data.

and

6.11.11.2.15 Save and load radiosity data
[Keep old explanation, but remove last sentence and add the
following sentences:]
You can minimize the samples that will be taken in addition to
the loaded data by specifying always_sample off. Also note that
the data is saved AFTER POV-Ray has successfully completed
the rendering of the scene, and thus takes ALL samples into
account.

IMHO these two explanations would be more precise and
describe what POV-Ray actually does, instead of describing
what was wanted when creating these options.

Thanks for reading this! :-)

Regards,
Tim

--