POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : 6.11.6 charset improvements Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:59:14 EDT (-0400)
  6.11.6 charset improvements (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: 6.11.6 charset improvements
Date: 19 May 2003 10:54:32
Message: <3ec8f028$1@news.povray.org>
The use of
             global_settings{ charset utf8 }
has two benefits:

#1)  As so clearly stated in docs, "The option utf8 is a special Unicode
text encoding and it allows you to specify characters of nearly all
languages in use today."

#2)  As not stated in docs, it can "fix" povray's ability to read some ttf
fonts which are freeware and of low quality, etc..

Suggested improvements to docs:

1)  Be redundant for us dumb users by telling us exactly what we have to do.
Say,
           global_settings {  charset utf8 }
instead of a short reference to
            utf8.
The idiot user, like me, might not immediately catch on that I'm supposed to
type "charset" infront of it.   In the surroudning sections, (6.11.4, 11.5,
11.7,  11.8,  11.9) , the docs were this explicit, it would help to follow
the pattern of helpfulness here too.

2)  Tie in BENEFIT#1 above  to the index and search routine of the docs.  It
is not tied in at all, under either index or search, on words like font,
character, text, ttf, language.  If "language" provides a difficulty, then
you could further improve statement #1.   You can only find this in the docs
if you already know the answer.

3)  Explain BENEFIT #2 in this section,  and tie it into the index and
search routine for words like font, character, text, ttf, character. You can
only find this in the docs if you already know the answer.

Post a reply to this message