POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Addition to 6.10.5.4 Saving and Loading Photon Maps Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Addition to 6.10.5.4 Saving and Loading Photon Maps (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: William F  Pokorny
Subject: Addition to 6.10.5.4 Saving and Loading Photon Maps
Date: 21 Aug 2002 08:38:00
Message: <3D6389A8.2EF3BDF5@attglobal.net>
I think the following information, which has recently appeared in other
pov news groups, should be added to the documentation either as part of
section 6.10.5.4 or as a followon section of it's own.  The text below
is taken from a recent posting by Mark Wagner.

When can you safely re-use a saved photon map?

Moving the camera is always safe.  Moving lights that do not cast
photons is always safe.  Moving objects that do not have photons shot at
them, that do not recieve photons, and would not recieve photons in the
new location is always safe.  Moving an object that recieves photons to
a new location where it does not recieve photons is sometimes safe.
Moving an object to a location where it recieves photons, moving an
object that has photons shot at it, or moving a light that casts photons
is not safe.

Changing the texture of an object that recieves photons is safe.
Changing the texture of an object that has photons shot at it produces
results that are not realistic, but can be useful sometimes.

In general, changes to the scene geometry require photons to be re-shot.
Changing the camera parameters or changing the image resolution does
not.

> I think the following information, which has recently appeared in other
> pov news groups, should be added to the documentation

Agree wih that, it was already saved in my snippets folder with possible
things to add.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

> > I think the following information, which has recently appeared in other
> > pov news groups, should be added to the documentation
>
> Agree wih that, it was already saved in my snippets folder with possible
> things to add.

Presumably after asking Mark Wagner for permission to use it :)

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

William F. Pokorny <pok### [at] attglobalnet> wrote:
> recieve

  Interesting verb.