POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality. : Re: BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality. Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality.
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jan 2018 14:21:32
Message: <5a52733c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.01.2018 um 18:38 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> We sometimes mark BITMAP_TYPE | HF_TYPE as optional when I believe from
> 3.7 onward it is everywhere optional.  When specified, this is the file
> type POV-Ray will try and read no matter the filename given or the
> output file type.

Both bitmap-based patterns and hight fields do indeed use the same code
to parse, and have essentially the same behaviour with respect to the
~_TYPE field (the difference being that height fields don't accept IFF
files, for reasons that are beyond me, while accepting POT files).

> "Note: Earlier versions of POV-Ray allowed some modifiers before the
> BITMAP_TYPE but that syntax is being phased out in favor of the syntax
> described here."
>
> which probably we can drop. At least for the modifiers I tried before
> BITMAP_TYPE, I got parser errors in 3.7 and 3.8.

POV-Ray 3.7 and 3.8 still allow the BITMAP_TYPE field (but not the
HF_TYPE field) to be preceded by an arbirtary number of vectors or
numerical values; according to the warning that this will produce, this
was an old syntax for specifying the map_type, as well as apparently the
image map's orientation in space.