POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : 2nd Post with Meaning :) Server Time
19 May 2024 10:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  2nd Post with Meaning :) (Message 21 to 30 of 44)
From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Re: 2nd Post with Meaning :)
Date: 2 Feb 2002 20:37:30
Message: <3c5c945a$1@news.povray.org>
news:3C5C8CE2.A9000EE0@pacbell.net...

> Ken wrote:
>
> > >   Btw, LaTeX is not only a geeks' tool. It's really used quite a lot
for
> > > serious publications (specially scientific ones).
> >
> > Were it not for the rare mention of it here in the news groups I would
> > have never heard of it.
>
> I just got back home from a major software retailer and they neither
> carry nor have ever heard of LaTeX.

    I've heard of it, but I have never heard of any serious writer who uses
it for final product. But then, I mostly know about the habits of fiction
writers, not technical writers.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 3 Feb 2002 01:16:41
Message: <3c5cd5c9$1@news.povray.org>
>     I've heard of it, but I have never heard of any serious writer who
uses
> it for final product. But then, I mostly know about the habits of fiction
> writers, not technical writers.

To quote Stephen King from the afterword of his latest novel "Dreamcatcher"

    "This book was written with the world's finest word
        processor, a Waterman cartridge fountain pen."

Pardon me while I veer on topic.  I would rather see several normal books
(300 pages) rather than a single 1000+ page luggable.  Some suggestions are

    1) Intro to POV (like an update of raytracing creations).
    2) POV animation
    3) POV Hardcore( see the test) Macro madness?
    4) 3rd party Tools for use with POV(Moray, Rhino, Poser...)

Post a reply to this message

Springer is using an own TeX System, which is similar to LaTeX. And you
won't find any mathematical publication, which is not written in TeX or
tools build on TeX. But I doubt if it's an elegant solution for the layout
of an raytracing book.

Florian Pesth

"Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Ken wrote:
>
> > >   Btw, LaTeX is not only a geeks' tool. It's really used quite a lot
for
> > > serious publications (specially scientific ones).
> >
> > Were it not for the rare mention of it here in the news groups I would
> > have never heard of it.
>
> I just got back home from a major software retailer and they neither
> carry nor have ever heard of LaTeX.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

"Tom Galvin" <tom### [at] nospamdataforgecom> wrote :

> To quote Stephen King from the afterword of his latest novel
"Dreamcatcher"

>     "This book was written with the world's finest word
>         processor, a Waterman cartridge fountain pen."

    I'll bet his editor doesn't agree with that sentiment.

> Pardon me while I veer on topic.  I would rather see several normal books
> (300 pages) rather than a single 1000+ page luggable.  Some suggestions
are

>     1) Intro to POV (like an update of raytracing creations).
>     2) POV animation
>     3) POV Hardcore( see the test) Macro madness?
>     4) 3rd party Tools for use with POV(Moray, Rhino, Poser...)

    Good divisions, either for a single book -or- multiple books.

Post a reply to this message

: I just got back home from a major software retailer and they neither
: carry nor have ever heard of LaTeX.

  It's clear that you people don't have an academic background.

> : I just got back home from a major software retailer and they neither
> : carry nor have ever heard of LaTeX.
>
>   It's clear that you people don't have an academic background.

Has your father ever used LaTeX?

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> > : I just got back home from a major software retailer and they neither
> > : carry nor have ever heard of LaTeX.
> >
> >   It's clear that you people don't have an academic background.
>
> Has your father ever used LaTeX?

    Considering Warp's behavior, the more pertinent question is didn't his
father ever use the leather?

Post a reply to this message