POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 03:10:38 EDT (-0400)
  Why I won't enter PoVComp again. (Message 50 to 59 of 99)
From: St
Subject: Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
Date: 25 Feb 2005 14:10:24
Message: <421f7820$1@news.povray.org>
news:421f0fbd$1@news.povray.org...
> St. <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>>     Does it matter if I entered or not? What did I post in my first post?
>> It
>> wasn't a "Great image" contest, it was merely a "Great PoV-Ray" contest.
>> Full stop.
>
>  And your point is?

      My point is that if it was a 'pure pov only' contest, you wouldn't,
and couldn't, have had the entries that you did. You 'had' to allow
modellers. I bet you sighed with relief when you found out that image was
pov only?

>  Perhaps we should have allowed 3DStudioMax renderings as well to
> satisfy your needs?

     No. I understand why this competition came about, and endorse any
promotional media to do with pov.

>>      Yes, and as good as they were, not one of them won. *Pure* PoV won.
>
>  Because it happened to be the best image.
>  It did not win because it did not use any external models. It won
> because it was the best image. The fact that it did not use any
> external models at all was commendable, but basically a coincidence.
> It could have used some external models and still have won.
>
>>     Yes, emotional, but they understand, they 'know' MY points. Listen
>> RD, I
>> sent my image to one of the *judges* on a friendly basis, not knowing
>> that
>> person was one of the judges, how do you think I feel now?! How do you
>> think
>> he feels??
>
>>    I'm glad I didn't enter, I respect the person I sent it to, and
>> wouldn't
>> want to spoil that. This is why I'm arguing that it should have been
>> set-up
>> properly.
>
>  You are not making any sense here. I don't understand what do you mean.

  It's simple. The judges *shouldn't* have been disclosed for a start. Of
the ones I know, I can *only* see one in that list that I would say is
actually qualified to judge, and whatever you say, if I'd have entered, I
would most certainly have felt that there was a bias towards myself by one
of them. Sometimes it's difficult to tell what kind of 'mood' someone is in
when they post, but you can *always* tell what attitude they have by *what*
they post.

   ~Steve~