POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Poster Sized Render vs Detailed views Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:36:37 EDT (-0400)
  Poster Sized Render vs Detailed views (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Peter Duthie
Subject: Poster Sized Render vs Detailed views
Date: 31 Oct 2004 22:44:10
Message: <4185b10a$1@news.povray.org>
Instead of submitting two detailed views, would it be possible to submit
one poster sized render of at least 5 x 5 the original picture
dimensions?  Technically this would contain the required two detailed views.

For those whose works do not require weeks to render, this may be a
valid alternative and would show that the competitor is not concealing a
lack of detail in areas not selected for a close-up view.

Of course, this would require a change to the submission interface, but
not necessarily the competition rules.

Thoughts?

Peter Duthie.
Peter Duthie <pd_### [at] warlordsofbeercom> wrote:
> Thoughts?

  OTOH you have to take into account that most judges will be viewing the
images over the internet. A 25-times larger image could take some space...

> Instead of submitting two detailed views, would it be possible to submit
> one poster sized render of at least 5 x 5 the original picture
> dimensions?  Technically this would contain the required two detailed views.
>
> For those whose works do not require weeks to render, this may be a
> valid alternative and would show that the competitor is not concealing a
> lack of detail in areas not selected for a close-up view.

If you have the above, then extracting the two detail views from it and then
submitting a scaled-down version of the main image would be fairly trivial (in
fact IIRC this is the method used by some others). It's quite legal to do it
this way and I'm sure there'd be folks here who would help if need be.

-- Chris