POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : sphere slicing problem Server Time
19 Apr 2024 00:43:13 EDT (-0400)
  sphere slicing problem (Message 28 to 37 of 37)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: sphere slicing problem
Date: 2 Nov 2019 03:38:10
Message: <5dbd3262$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/1/19 1:39 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 11/1/19 10:16 AM, jr wrote:
>>
>> I now think that if, perhaps, there is a relatively simple and
>> accurate way of
>> calculating camera parameters for both camera types such that the
>> object is seen
>> in exactly the same size/position, perhaps one could merge the
>> results.  any
>> thought(s) welcome.
>>

> Maybe...

Woke up this morning with a thought. If you're willing to render each
sample as three frames your idea might fly using two perspective cameras.

While in general using whatever you are using set up wise for best
results:

Using a perspective camera down in the first frame of a sample; A
perspective camera up in the second frame of a sample; In the last frame
use the results of the of the first two sample frames for planar
pigments which themselves would be used in a user defined pigment
applied to a plane with no lights but an ambient 1 finish and an
orthographic camera.

In frame 3/3 of each sample in the scan the user defined pigment would
be something like:

#declare PigmentMaxUpDownPerspective = pigment {
     user_defined {
         function { max(FnUp(x,y,z).r,FnDown(x,y,z).r) },
         function { max(FnUp(x,y,z).g,FnDown(x,y,z).g) },
         function { max(FnUp(x,y,z).b,FnDown(x,y,z).b) },
         ,
     }
}

There is planar-position distortion due the perspective camera. You
would want to keep the angle small(1) to limit this. Further for each
sample the up / down cameras should be equal distance to the middle of
each sample's slice. In other words, the camera positions should be
based upon the middle of each sample slice.

Aside: A user defined perspective camera simultaneously up and down an
option too - say alternating rows at twice the vertical height - could
be rendered in one frame. You'd have to be willing to scale down
vertically only with some post render program/process.

Bill P.

(1) - Small perspective camera angles will tend to work against you in
being more parallel - more like the orthographic - some balancing
required. Small perspective camera angles also require the camera be
further away. So, I'll also mention there are accuracy issues especially
with higher order polynomial shapes when the camera rays start far away.
The accuracy issue is improved if you use my updated solver branch, but
still significantly present. The sphere is essentially order 2, so with
it your OK accuracy wise even at large distances away for the camera.

Post a reply to this message

> On 11/1/19 1:39 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> > On 11/1/19 10:16 AM, jr wrote:
> >>
> >> I now think that if, perhaps, there is a relatively simple and
> >> accurate way of
> >> calculating camera parameters for both camera types such that the
> >> object is seen
> >> in exactly the same size/position, perhaps one could merge the
> >> results.  any
> >> thought(s) welcome.
> >
> > Maybe...
>
> Woke up this morning with a thought.

:-)

> If you're willing to render each
> sample as three frames your idea might fly using two perspective cameras.
> While in general using whatever you are using set up wise for best
> results:
> Using a perspective camera down in the first frame of a sample; A
> perspective camera up in the second frame of a sample; In the last frame
> use the results of the of the first two sample frames for planar
> pigments which themselves would be used in a user defined pigment
> applied to a plane with no lights but an ambient 1 finish and an
> orthographic camera.
> In frame 3/3 of each sample in the scan the user defined pigment would
> be something like:
> #declare PigmentMaxUpDownPerspective = pigment {
>      user_defined {
>          function { max(FnUp(x,y,z).r,FnDown(x,y,z).r) },
>          function { max(FnUp(x,y,z).g,FnDown(x,y,z).g) },
>          function { max(FnUp(x,y,z).b,FnDown(x,y,z).b) },
>          ,
>      }
> }

while I can see/appreciate the concept, I'll need to think about how to approach
this.  I have never used more than one camera at a time, for instance.  and then
there's the .. function voodoo.  :-)  FnUp/FnDown are what?  the contents of the
slice wrapped somehow in a function?

> There is planar-position distortion due the perspective camera. You
> would want to keep the angle small(1) to limit this.

the opposite to what I've been doing so far.  I use(d) the angle and location to
fine tune the shape to fill the frame.

> Further for each
> sample the up / down cameras should be equal distance to the middle of
> each sample's slice. In other words, the camera positions should be
> based upon the middle of each sample slice.

another thing different.  until now I have used the lowest point, but will
incorporate this as a first change.

> Aside: A user defined perspective camera simultaneously up and down an
> option too - say alternating rows at twice the vertical height - could
> be rendered in one frame. You'd have to be willing to scale down
> vertically only with some post render program/process.

open to ideas.  more function voodoo, I bet.  :-)

> Bill P.
> (1) - Small perspective camera angles will tend to work against you in
> being more parallel - more like the orthographic - some balancing
> required. Small perspective camera angles also require the camera be
> further away. So, I'll also mention there are accuracy issues especially
> with higher order polynomial shapes when the camera rays start far away.
> The accuracy issue is improved if you use my updated solver branch, but
> still significantly present. The sphere is essentially order 2, so with
> it your OK accuracy wise even at large distances away for the camera.

while I've never compiled a patched version of POV-Ray, I'm willing to give it a
try (with a little hand-holding).

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message