POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Unresponsive crash in qtpovray with [accidental] recursive function Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:36:54 EDT (-0400)
  Unresponsive crash in qtpovray with [accidental] recursive function (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Unresponsive crash in qtpovray with [accidental] recursive function
Date: 13 Jul 2019 12:45:01
Message: <web.5d2a0a4414ac7e6a4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
So, in a bit of haste, I ran my scene with

#declare Inverse = function (x, y, z, R, S) {log( 1-Inverse(x,y,z,R,S) )}

which of course calls itself, and POV-Ray issued a warning and stopped, but it
also became unresponsive and gave me this in the terminal window

*** Error in `qtpovray': realloc(): invalid old size: 0x00007f580801dcd0 ***
*** Error in `qtpovray': malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007f580801d420 ***

Just throwing that out there.

povray 3.8.0-alpha.9861167.unofficial

This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 Dick Balaska - qtpovray edition <dic### [at] buckosoftcom>
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

Copyright 1991-2018 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

> So, in a bit of haste, I ran my scene with
>
> #declare Inverse = function (x, y, z, R, S) {log( 1-Inverse(x,y,z,R,S) )}
>
> which of course calls itself, and POV-Ray issued a warning and stopped, but it
> also became unresponsive and gave me this in the terminal window
>
> *** Error in `qtpovray': realloc(): invalid old size: 0x00007f580801dcd0 ***
> *** Error in `qtpovray': malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007f580801d420 ***
>
> Just throwing that out there.

WORKSFORME

Can you post a whole scene that tips over?

----------
#version 3.7;
#declare Inverse = function (x, y, z, R, S) {log( 1-Inverse(x,y,z,R,S))}
----------

chdir:  /home/dick/povray/projects/animtest
command:  +Irecursivememdeath.pov

Possible Parse Error: Recursive function calls are not allowed!
at File: recursivememdeath.pov Line: 2 Col: 73
Possible Parse Error: assumed_gamma not specified in this POV-Ray v3.7
or later scene. Future versions of POV-Ray may consider this a fatal
error. To avoid this warning, explicitly specify 'assumed_gamma 1.0' in
the global_settings section. See the documentation for more details.
Parse Warning: No objects in scene.
--
dik
Rendered 1024 of 921600 pixels (0%)