POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : 3.7 Installation bug Server Time: 18 Jan 2019 02:18:56 GMT
  3.7 Installation bug (Message 1 to 6 of 6)  
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: 3.7 Installation bug
Date: 24 Aug 2018 14:00:01
Message: <web.5b800f1ce4dca25c437ac910@news.povray.org>
I just installed 3.7 from the downloads page, and I got "placeholder icons" on
the desktop and in the start menu.

Apparently the installer is directing the OS to look for

"C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine-sse2.exe"

when in fact the file is named

"C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine32-sse2.exe"

I edited the two entries, and now they work.

Win 7 Pro SP1


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: 3.7 Installation bug
Date: 24 Aug 2018 17:26:35
Message: <5b803fcb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.08.2018 um 15:58 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I just installed 3.7 from the downloads page, and I got "placeholder icons" on
> the desktop and in the start menu.
> 
> Apparently the installer is directing the OS to look for
> 
> "C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine-sse2.exe"
> 
> when in fact the file is named
> 
> "C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine32-sse2.exe"
> 
> I edited the two entries, and now they work.
> 
> Win 7 Pro SP1

You're still running 32 bit?


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: 3.7 Installation bug
Date: 24 Aug 2018 17:50:07
Message: <web.5b8044699f669e3ac437ac910@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> You're still running 32 bit?

Someone is.

It's just a box that I have very little control over at the moment, and I got
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
running....."

But I figured at least it should properly point to one of the 3 .exe files...


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: 3.7 Installation bug
Date: 24 Aug 2018 18:08:39
Message: <5b8049a7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.08.2018 um 19:46 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> It's just a box that I have very little control over at the moment, and I got
> "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
> running....."

Sounds like you actually need the non-SSE2 version. Which would imply
the SSE2 detection isn't working reliably either.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: 3.7 Installation bug
Date: 24 Aug 2018 18:30:06
Message: <web.5b804e9b9f669e3ac437ac910@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 24.08.2018 um 19:46 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>
> > It's just a box that I have very little control over at the moment, and I got
> > "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
> > running....."
>
> Sounds like you actually need the non-SSE2 version. Which would imply
> the SSE2 detection isn't working reliably either.

I got that error when I renamed the installer-made shortcut to the 64-bit
version and tried to run it.
 Both the non-64-bit versions run just fine - they just weren't properly called
by the filename in the shortcut.


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 3.7 Installation bug
Date: 26 Aug 2018 17:15:01
Message: <web.5b82e00c9f669e3aa47873e10@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 24.08.2018 um 19:46 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>
> > It's just a box that I have very little control over at the moment, and I got
> > "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
> > running....."
>
> Sounds like you actually need the non-SSE2 version. Which would imply
> the SSE2 detection isn't working reliably either.

I just came across this paragraph in Wikipedia (for "Windows 7"), which may or
may not be relevant...

"Security updates released since March 2018 contain bugs which affect processors
that do not support SSE2 extensions, including all Pentium III processors.
Microsoft initially stated that it would attempt to resolve the issue, and
prevented installation of the affected patches on these systems. However, on
June 15, 2018, Microsoft retroactively modified its support documents to remove
the promise that this bug would be resolved, replacing it with a statement
suggesting that users obtain a newer processor. This effectively ends future
patch support for Windows 7 on these systems."

But since Bald Eagle found a simple workaround to his own problem, it would seem
that his processor does have SSE2 extensions.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.