POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Crash when right-click on tab Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Crash when right-click on tab (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Lawrence W
Subject: Crash when right-click on tab
Date: 23 Jan 2017 21:05:00
Message: <web.5886b5a7386cf5ca546a31f0@news.povray.org>
I just downloaded POVRay 3.7 (23 Jan 2017), and have installed it on my Windows
10 x64 laptop.  I fired it up and rendered the test scenes that are open by
default.  Everything looks great, and the scenes render faster than ever.
Great.  Then I went to close one of the test scenes by right-clicking on the tab
and selecting "Close this file", and that's when POVRay crashes.

Actually, I just discovered that a right-click on a tab is all it takes. If I
right-click and then left click somewhere else, POVRay crashes.

Is this a known issue, or am I the first?

Post a reply to this message

"Lawrence W" <lwi### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I just downloaded POVRay 3.7 (23 Jan 2017), and have installed it on my Windows
> 10 x64 laptop.  I fired it up and rendered the test scenes that are open by
> default.  Everything looks great, and the scenes render faster than ever.
> Great.  Then I went to close one of the test scenes by right-clicking on the tab
> and selecting "Close this file", and that's when POVRay crashes.
>
> Actually, I just discovered that a right-click on a tab is all it takes. If I
> right-click and then left click somewhere else, POVRay crashes.
>
> Is this a known issue, or am I the first?

I take the second part back; it freezes, but eventually comes out of it.  The
first part still applies, however.  I'm going to try running POVRay in
compatibility mode and see what that does.

Post a reply to this message

Am 24.01.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Lawrence W:
> I just downloaded POVRay 3.7 (23 Jan 2017), and have installed it on my Windows
> 10 x64 laptop.  I fired it up and rendered the test scenes that are open by
> default.  Everything looks great, and the scenes render faster than ever.
> Great.  Then I went to close one of the test scenes by right-clicking on the tab
> and selecting "Close this file", and that's when POVRay crashes.

Is that the final 3.7.0, the current 3.7.1 beta (3.7.1-beta.2), or some
other version?

Post a reply to this message

> Am 24.01.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Lawrence W:
>> I just downloaded POVRay 3.7 (23 Jan 2017), and have installed it on my Windows
>> 10 x64 laptop.  I fired it up and rendered the test scenes that are open by
>> default.  Everything looks great, and the scenes render faster than ever.
>> Great.  Then I went to close one of the test scenes by right-clicking on the tab
>> and selecting "Close this file", and that's when POVRay crashes.
>
> Is that the final 3.7.0, the current 3.7.1 beta (3.7.1-beta.2), or some
> other version?

Also:

- Can you verify that the version you are running is the 64-bit version?
- Please let us know the version of the cmedit64.dll you have installed
(see POV-Ray install directory, "bin" subdirectory, right click on
"cmedit64.dll", then choose "properties -> details").

Post a reply to this message

> Am 24.01.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Lawrence W:
> > I just downloaded POVRay 3.7 (23 Jan 2017), and have installed it on my Windows
> > 10 x64 laptop.  I fired it up and rendered the test scenes that are open by
> > default.  Everything looks great, and the scenes render faster than ever.
> > Great.  Then I went to close one of the test scenes by right-clicking on the tab
> > and selecting "Close this file", and that's when POVRay crashes.
>
> Is that the final 3.7.0, the current 3.7.1 beta (3.7.1-beta.2), or some
> other version?
Since I also have Windows 10 I tried the right-click in both the 3.7.0 and beta
2.

No crash or freeze but all the options available in the popup menu just make the
file location open in the File Explorer, showing that file check-marked.

The cmedit64.dll version for each is 3.7.0.0 and 3.7.1-beta2

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 24 Jan 2017 04:44:35
Message: <58872203$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.01.2017 um 06:53 schrieb omniverse:
>> Am 24.01.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Lawrence W:
>>> I just downloaded POVRay 3.7 (23 Jan 2017), and have installed it on my Windows
>>> 10 x64 laptop.  I fired it up and rendered the test scenes that are open by
>>> default.  Everything looks great, and the scenes render faster than ever.
>>> Great.  Then I went to close one of the test scenes by right-clicking on the tab
>>> and selecting "Close this file", and that's when POVRay crashes.
>>
>> Is that the final 3.7.0, the current 3.7.1 beta (3.7.1-beta.2), or some
>> other version?
> Since I also have Windows 10 I tried the right-click in both the 3.7.0 and beta
> 2.
>
> No crash or freeze but all the options available in the popup menu just make the
> file location open in the File Explorer, showing that file check-marked.
>
> The cmedit64.dll version for each is 3.7.0.0 and 3.7.1-beta2

Does that happen for both the 3.7.0 _and_ the 3.7.1-beta.2?
Also, what are the exact version numbers (see "Messages" tab at startup)?

Can you please try the following editor DLL with the 3.7.1-beta.2:
http://wiki.povray.org/clipka-files/cmedit64.dll

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Jan 2017 15:35:00
Message: <web.5887b9a881f92dd6883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), with 64-bit POV-Ray (one of the latest dev
builds, v3.7.1-alpha.8927145+av352.msvc14 )

No crashes or problems of any kind when right-clicking on a scene tab and
choosing 'Close This File'

cmedit64 DLL is v3.7.0.0

Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Date: 24 Jan 2017 23:55:00
Message: <web.58882de681f92dd69c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 24.01.2017 um 06:53 schrieb omniverse:
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is that the final 3.7.0, the current 3.7.1 beta (3.7.1-beta.2), or some
> >> other version?
> > Since I also have Windows 10 I tried the right-click in both the 3.7.0 and beta
> > 2.
> >
> > No crash or freeze but all the options available in the popup menu just make the
> > file location open in the File Explorer, showing that file check-marked.
> >
> > The cmedit64.dll version for each is 3.7.0.0 and 3.7.1-beta2
>
> Does that happen for both the 3.7.0 _and_ the 3.7.1-beta.2?
> Also, what are the exact version numbers (see "Messages" tab at startup)?
>
> Can you please try the following editor DLL with the 3.7.1-beta.2:
> http://wiki.povray.org/clipka-files/cmedit64.dll

Sorry, was away for a while.
Okay, tried that, same thing. Only opening the file location.

Was running these 3 versions:

3.7.0.msvc10

3.7.1-alpha.8927145+av352.msvc14.win64

3.7.1-beta.2+QA09T.msvc10.win64

Must say I never did this right-click on file tab before now, didn't even know
it was possible! I'm a main menu user, or click tabs to select.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Jan 2017 13:40:01
Message: <web.5888f04981f92dd6883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> > > No crash or freeze but all the options available in the popup menu just
> > > make the file location open in the File Explorer, showing that
> > > file check-marked.
> > >
> > > The cmedit64.dll version for each is 3.7.0.0 and 3.7.1-beta2
> >
> > [Clipka]
> > Can you please try the following editor DLL with the 3.7.1-beta.2:
> > http://wiki.povray.org/clipka-files/cmedit64.dll
>
> Sorry, was away for a while.
> Okay, tried that, same thing. Only opening the file location.
>
> Was running these 3 versions:

> 3.7.1-alpha.8927145+av352.msvc14.win64

Hmm, that's mighty strange. Seems that you and I are getting different results
using the same POV-Ray assets and pvengine64 version (with the 'original'
cmedit64.dll v3.7.0.0, the only one I'm using.) When I right-click on a scene
tab and choose 'Close This File', it does so as expected, without any list or
check-marks popping up. (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, dual-core, 6GB
ram.)

Wierd.

> Must say I never did this right-click on file tab before now, didn't even know
> it was possible! I'm a main menu user, or click tabs to select.

Same here.