POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : font rendering issue, left-jutting bar in capital G of Respective font Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:50:34 EDT (-0400)
  font rendering issue, left-jutting bar in capital G of Respective font (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: jmichae3
Subject: font rendering issue, left-jutting bar in capital G of Respective font
Date: 3 Jan 2015 21:10:01
Message: <web.54a8a0064fe73fc78694a3930@news.povray.org>
font rendering issue, left-jutting bar in capital G of Respective font at
http://www.aringtypeface.com/respective/
I am trying to determine with the font author if this is a problem with the font
itself or a bug in POV 3.7. I have windows 7 x64 sp1 Ultimate Retail on an
i7-3970x with 64GiB RAM on an ASUS p9x79 deluxe motherboard and a GTX 670 video
card.
I am using 2 threads.
you can see the issue starting at about frame 0294 of the video I am making.
this is a POV issue or not?
here is an example frame with the source files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k614qshcko2qti/font-rendering-issue.zip?dl=0

I had thought maybe this wasn't a font issue, since the left-jutting bar is not
extruded like the rest of the font rendering is, and strangely enough, these
razor-thin vertical gold bars are only at the front and back of the font
rendering. that's a very tight-angle font rendering curve there, wonder if
that's a problem )(floating point error or something?) for POV. and it looks
like the jut-out is right at the point of where the 2 curves split off.
interesting.

Post a reply to this message

"jmichae3" <jmi### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> font rendering issue, left-jutting bar in capital G of Respective font at
> http://www.aringtypeface.com/respective/
> I am trying to determine with the font author if this is a problem with the font
> itself or a bug in POV 3.7. I have windows 7 x64 sp1 Ultimate Retail on an
> i7-3970x with 64GiB RAM on an ASUS p9x79 deluxe motherboard and a GTX 670 video
> card.
> I am using 2 threads.
> you can see the issue starting at about frame 0294 of the video I am making.
> this is a POV issue or not?
> here is an example frame with the source files.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k614qshcko2qti/font-rendering-issue.zip?dl=0
>
> I had thought maybe this wasn't a font issue, since the left-jutting bar is not
> extruded like the rest of the font rendering is, and strangely enough, these
> razor-thin vertical gold bars are only at the front and back of the font
> rendering. that's a very tight-angle font rendering curve there, wonder if
> that's a problem )(floating point error or something?) for POV. and it looks
> like the jut-out is right at the point of where the 2 curves split off.
> interesting.

the capital J in the name Jesus has this problem too, but with spikes instead
and a triangle.
Width=3180 ;4K
Height=2160
OOps, miscalculated resolution for 4K.

it seems at higher resolutions and with blown-up fonts, font rendering doesn't
do too well.
still curious of this is floating point error.
here is the single-frame that reproduces this "spike+triangle" version of the
problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmddfnmcrhfoum4/single-frame-POV-font-render-problem.zip?dl=0

Post a reply to this message

"jmichae3" <jmi### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> "jmichae3" <jmi### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > font rendering issue, left-jutting bar in capital G of Respective font at
> > http://www.aringtypeface.com/respective/
> > I am trying to determine with the font author if this is a problem with the font
> > itself or a bug in POV 3.7. I have windows 7 x64 sp1 Ultimate Retail on an
> > i7-3970x with 64GiB RAM on an ASUS p9x79 deluxe motherboard and a GTX 670 video
> > card.
> > I am using 2 threads.
> > you can see the issue starting at about frame 0294 of the video I am making.
> > this is a POV issue or not?
> > here is an example frame with the source files.
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k614qshcko2qti/font-rendering-issue.zip?dl=0
> >
> > I had thought maybe this wasn't a font issue, since the left-jutting bar is not
> > extruded like the rest of the font rendering is, and strangely enough, these
> > razor-thin vertical gold bars are only at the front and back of the font
> > rendering. that's a very tight-angle font rendering curve there, wonder if
> > that's a problem )(floating point error or something?) for POV. and it looks
> > like the jut-out is right at the point of where the 2 curves split off.
> > interesting.
>
> the capital J in the name Jesus has this problem too, but with spikes instead
> and a triangle.
> Width=3180 ;4K
> Height=2160
> OOps, miscalculated resolution for 4K.
>
> it seems at higher resolutions and with blown-up fonts, font rendering doesn't
> do too well.
> still curious of this is floating point error.
> here is the single-frame that reproduces this "spike+triangle" version of the
> problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmddfnmcrhfoum4/single-frame-POV-font-render-problem.zip?dl=0

perhaps GNU GMP library should be used instead of normal floating point ops to
get more precision?

Post a reply to this message