POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Error with big *.inc file Server Time
29 Mar 2024 00:58:48 EDT (-0400)
  Error with big *.inc file (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Alex
Subject: Error with big *.inc file
Date: 29 Aug 2014 04:35:00
Message: <web.54003aaef370693040e8111a0@news.povray.org>
I get the following error when using a big inc file:

"C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No matching } in
'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.

But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get any error
when I use smaller file.

I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc, Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB RAM). To
render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest POV-Ray version
and the previous one... no luck!

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Alexander

Post a reply to this message

> I get the following error when using a big inc file:
>
> "C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No matching } in
> 'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.
>
> But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get any error
> when I use smaller file.
>
> I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc, Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
> Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
> http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip
>
> I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB RAM). To
> render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest POV-Ray version
> and the previous one... no luck!
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Cheers,
> Alexander

Hmmm ... OK I'm seeing something similar with a big include file (> 75M)
that I've been using for ages and /haven't/ touched since 2011

ash@linux-c2bm:~/POV-Ray/Source $ ll ../Includes/gargoyle.inc
-rw-r--r-- 1 ash users 75777971 Apr  6  2011 ../Includes/gargoyle.inc

File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/gargoyle.inc' line 2868724: Parse
Error: Illegal character in input file, value is b7.
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

Odd that things worked fine two days ago (and yesterday) ... Indeed when
I bring the file into gedit it halts reading the file for "illegal
character" so I canceled ... however reading the file with vi I see a
problem at the offending line:

I've seen this before (different include), but didn't follow up as I was
sure it would be one of those "I can't duplicate it" cases and I dropped
it ... now with another user having problems I feel it's prudent to
speak up now.

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 29 Aug 2014 07:06:21
Message: <54005ead$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/29/2014 06:58 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> On 08/29/2014 04:32 AM, Alex wrote:
>> I get the following error when using a big inc file:
>>
>> "C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No
>> matching } in
>> 'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.
>>
>> But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get
>> any error
>> when I use smaller file.
>>
>> I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc,
>> Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
>> Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
>> http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip
>>
>> I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB
>> RAM). To
>> render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest
>> POV-Ray version
>> and the previous one... no luck!
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any help!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexander
>>

> Hmmm ... OK I'm seeing something similar with a big include file (> 75M)
> that I've been using for ages and /haven't/ touched since 2011
>
> ash@linux-c2bm:~/POV-Ray/Source $ ll ../Includes/gargoyle.inc
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ash users 75777971 Apr  6  2011 ../Includes/gargoyle.inc
>
> File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/gargoyle.inc' line 2868724: Parse
> Error: Illegal character in input file, value is b7.
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
>
> Odd that things worked fine two days ago (and yesterday) ... Indeed when
> I bring the file into gedit it halts reading the file for "illegal
> character" so I canceled ... however reading the file with vi I see a
> problem at the offending line:
>

> I've seen this before (different include), but didn't follow up as I was
> sure it would be one of those "I can't duplicate it" cases and I dropped
> it ... now with another user having problems I feel it's prudent to
> speak up now.

commented out offending line and now I get:

File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/gargoyle.inc' line 3097900: Parse
Error: Expected 'numeric expression', } found instead
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

... it parsed past previous error and made it to the end of the file

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 29 Aug 2014 11:55:00
Message: <web.5400a1649ede3cc7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
"Alex" <ale### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I get the following error when using a big inc file:
>
> "C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No matching } in
> 'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.
>
> But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get any error
> when I use smaller file.
>
> I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc, Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
> Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
> http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip
>
> I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB RAM). To
> render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest POV-Ray version
> and the previous one... no luck!
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Cheers,
> Alexander

I am using Linux Mageia-4 64 bit OS (i3 with 16 GB RAM).
No problem with Mesh_tracts_big.inc (3.1 GB)
Look here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.5400a08ac27938b17a3e03fe0%40news.povray.org%3E/big_inc.
jpg

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex
Date: 29 Aug 2014 13:25:00
Message: <web.5400b7329ede3cc40e8111a0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> "Alex" <ale### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > I get the following error when using a big inc file:
> >
> > "C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No matching } in
> > 'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.
> >
> > But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get any error
> > when I use smaller file.
> >
> > I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc, Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
> > Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
> > http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip
> >
> > I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB RAM). To
> > render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest POV-Ray version
> > and the previous one... no luck!
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for any help!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alexander
>

> I am using Linux Mageia-4 64 bit OS (i3 with 16 GB RAM).
> No problem with Mesh_tracts_big.inc (3.1 GB)
> Look here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.5400a08ac27938b17a3e03fe0%40news.povray.org%3E/big_in
c.
> jpg

Great - so this confirms that there is nothing wrong with the files ;-)! Unless
someone can get it working on a Windows OS, this remains a bug, not?!

Any suggestions on how to fix it - besides getting a Linux OS ;-)?

Kind regards,
Alexander

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 29 Aug 2014 14:17:05
Message: <5400c3a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/29/2014 01:24 PM, Alex wrote:
> "LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
>> "Alex" <ale### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> I get the following error when using a big inc file:
>>>
>>> "C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No matching } in
>>> 'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.
>>>
>>> But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get any error
>>> when I use smaller file.
>>>
>>> I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc, Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
>>> Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
>>> http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip
>>>
>>> I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB RAM). To
>>> render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest POV-Ray version
>>> and the previous one... no luck!
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance for any help!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexander
>>

>> I am using Linux Mageia-4 64 bit OS (i3 with 16 GB RAM).
>> No problem with Mesh_tracts_big.inc (3.1 GB)
>> Look here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.5400a08ac27938b17a3e03fe0%40news.povray.org%3E/big_in
> c.
>> jpg
>
> Great - so this confirms that there is nothing wrong with the files ;-)! Unless
> someone can get it working on a Windows OS, this remains a bug, not?!
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix it - besides getting a Linux OS ;-)?
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexander

don't think it's exclusive to windows ... i'm linux user. didn't test
your specific case but i've seen this problem in the past, and
coincidentally just the other day with a large include that i've used in
the past (just two days ago) without difficulty. /nothing/ on my system
has changed. as a matter of fact had it happen /before/ 3.7 release but
kept my mouth shut ... well because and i won't get into that

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 29 Aug 2014 14:25:00
Message: <web.5400c4f89ede3cc7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
It would be desirable to learn as well as where such model is created?

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex
Date: 29 Aug 2014 16:00:01
Message: <web.5400da609ede3cc40e8111a0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> It would be desirable to learn as well as where such model is created?

First some good news: I've found a way around the problem... splitting up all
the data from the big *.inc file and then simply writing multiple smaller *.inc
files does the job ;-)!

Second, to answer your question, I've created this model of brain fiber
trajectories based on diffusion MRI data. Want to know more? See
http://providi-lab.org

Cheers,
-A

PS: while I'm at it... does anybody know how to make a mesh2 object look like
it's emitting light?

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 29 Aug 2014 16:20:04
Message: <web.5400df439ede3cc7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
"Alex" <ale### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> > It would be desirable to learn as well as where such model is created?
>
> First some good news: I've found a way around the problem... splitting up all
> the data from the big *.inc file and then simply writing multiple smaller *.inc
> files does the job ;-)!

How it can be done with one object?
I created from the Mesh_tracts_big.inc the OBJ file - 1.1 GB.
The Blender falls when importing

> Second, to answer your question, I've created this model of brain fiber
> trajectories based on diffusion MRI data. Want to know more? See
> http://providi-lab.org

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex
Date: 29 Aug 2014 16:50:01
Message: <web.5400e66f9ede3cc40e8111a0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> "Alex" <ale### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > "LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> > > It would be desirable to learn as well as where such model is created?
> >
> > First some good news: I've found a way around the problem... splitting up all
> > the data from the big *.inc file and then simply writing multiple smaller *.inc
> > files does the job ;-)!
>
> How it can be done with one object?
> I created from the Mesh_tracts_big.inc the OBJ file - 1.1 GB.
> The Blender falls when importing
>

> > Second, to answer your question, I've created this model of brain fiber
> > trajectories based on diffusion MRI data. Want to know more? See
> > http://providi-lab.org
> >

> Thanks!

Now, I actually use multiple objects. For example:

object{
#include "F:\Data\POV_RAY\Mesh_tracts_1.inc"
}
object{
#include "F:\Data\POV_RAY\Mesh_tracts_2.inc"
}
object{
#include "F:\Data\POV_RAY\Mesh_tracts_3.inc"
}
object{
#include "F:\Data\POV_RAY\Mesh_tracts_4.inc"
}
object{
#include "F:\Data\POV_RAY\Mesh_tracts_5.inc"
}

Cheers,
-A