POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Precompiled headers Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Precompiled headers (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: kmelsha
Subject: Precompiled headers
Date: 12 Jul 2014 23:15:01
Message: <web.53c1f8e7234d9ae1e9fb640@news.povray.org>
Am I the first to notice that you are not using precompiled headers correctly on
Windows? If you don't include the header file you specified in the "Precompiled
header file" area of the property page you will not receive any benefit. I
suggest you create a sample Windows project in VS and you will see how it should
be setup.

Ken Melsha
kme### [at] hotmailcom

Post a reply to this message

> Am I the first to notice that you are not using precompiled headers correctly on
> Windows? If you don't include the header file you specified in the "Precompiled
> header file" area of the property page you will not receive any benefit. I
> suggest you create a sample Windows project in VS and you will see how it should
> be setup.
>
> Ken Melsha
> kme### [at] hotmailcom

I must apologize for this post. I was a bit hasty. It seems I did not look hard
enough for the files using the precompiled headers. Forgive me!!!

Ken Melsha
kme### [at] hotmailcom

Post a reply to this message

> > Am I the first to notice that you are not using precompiled headers correctly on
> > Windows? If you don't include the header file you specified in the "Precompiled
> > header file" area of the property page you will not receive any benefit. I
> > suggest you create a sample Windows project in VS and you will see how it should
> > be setup.
> >
> > Ken Melsha
> > kme### [at] hotmailcom
>
> I must apologize for this post. I was a bit hasty. It seems I did not look hard
> enough for the files using the precompiled headers. Forgive me!!!
>
> Ken Melsha
> kme### [at] hotmailcom
Now I think I'm going crazy. Went back and looked in the original files and none
of the include files for precompilation are included anywhere except the dummy
..cpp file used for processing. I must have stumbled across a file I changed. I
guess my original comment stands.

Ken Melsha
kme### [at] hotmailcom

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 13 Jul 2014 06:20:03
Message: <53c25d53@news.povray.org>
Am 13.07.2014 05:12, schrieb kmelsha:
> Am I the first to notice that you are not using precompiled headers correctly on
> Windows? If you don't include the header file you specified in the "Precompiled
> header file" area of the property page you will not receive any benefit. I
> suggest you create a sample Windows project in VS and you will see how it should
> be setup.

I suggest you try recompiling, say, povbackend, with "Precompiled
Header: Not used" in the project properties, and you will see how we do
receive a benefit :-P

There are two reasons why the sample Windows project inserts an #include
for the "precompiled header header":

- It is presumed that what you precompile is also the stuff you want to
include in each and every source file.

- Including the "precompiled header header", rather than individual
headers from it, is an easy way to avoid inconsistency problems that
could arise from including headers in different order.

However, it is /not/ mandatory. The magic is in the "Precompiled Header:
Use (/Yu)", not the actual inclusion of the one and only precompiled header.