POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : fade_color and conserve_energy issue Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:00:15 EDT (-0400)
  fade_color and conserve_energy issue (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Florian Siegmund
Subject: fade_color and conserve_energy issue
Date: 25 Jan 2012 15:50:00
Message: <web.4f2069df9971df3a221d4ff0@news.povray.org>
I encountered a possible bug when I tried to use fade_color with conserve_energy
in the material of a "glass bowl". With fade_color only, everything seems to be
alright (despite too bright edges for the bowl to be "photorealistic" though),
but in combination with the conserve_energy statement it looks like pov-ray
would ignore fade_color calculations after the second refraction/reflection..
these material areas show up much too bright (they should even be a little bit
darker than without conserve_energy).
I get the same result with v3.6 and v3.7 RC3, so this shouldn't be something
very new.
I will also post two images in the image binaries group (glass_bowl and
glass_bowl_conserve_e).

So is there a different possibility to create a realistic looking glass material
(with distance based color), if it cannot be achieved this way?

Regards Florian