POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Povray choking on large file Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:10:52 EDT (-0400)
  Povray choking on large file (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: posfan12
Subject: Povray choking on large file
Date: 22 Sep 2011 15:35:00
Message: <web.4e7b8d01544fd3198416952a0@news.povray.org>
Povray is quitting during the parsing stage when trying to render the following
file. Anyone else able to reproduce this behavior? Any fixes or workarounds?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qwvq13het69pq7d

Post a reply to this message

> Povray is quitting during the parsing stage when trying to render the following
> file. Anyone else able to reproduce this behavior? Any fixes or workarounds?
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qwvq13het69pq7d

Dear Mike alias SharkD,

you know quite well how to make proper bug reports. So please do.

Regards,

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Povray is quitting during the parsing stage when trying to render the following
> file. Anyone else able to reproduce this behavior? Any fixes or workarounds?
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qwvq13het69pq7d

Confirmed for 3.7 RC3 running under Windows XP x64: POV-Ray crashes hard
(dialog with the option to send a crash dump appears).

Post a reply to this message

>> Povray is quitting during the parsing stage when trying to render the
>> following
>> file. Anyone else able to reproduce this behavior? Any fixes or
>> workarounds?
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qwvq13het69pq7d
>
> Confirmed for 3.7 RC3 running under Windows XP x64: POV-Ray crashes hard
> (dialog with the option to send a crash dump appears).

The following trimmed-down scene still produces the crash:

------------------
light_source {
     <0, 0, 0>
     color rgb 0.5*<1,0.905882,0.211765>
     fade_distance 500
     fade_power 1.6
     looks_like {_3024_dot_dat texture {
         pigment { rgbf <1,0.905882,0.211765,0.90> }
         finish { ambient 0.6 diffuse 0 phong 0.5 phong_size 40
             reflection 0.9
             refraction 1 ior 1.25
             }
         }
}    }

Note that _3024_dot_dat is undefined.

Apparently this is a bug in the program that generated the scene file
(L3P as it seems). My first guess would be that it fails to properly
include sub-models that are only used as light-source lookalikes.

At the same time however, this is also a bug in POV-Ray, as it should
properly report the problem instead of crashing hard.