POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Panoramic projection only showing 180 degrees Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:03:42 EDT (-0400)
  Panoramic projection only showing 180 degrees (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: bugefun
Subject: Panoramic projection only showing 180 degrees
Date: 10 Sep 2011 18:40:00
Message: <web.4e6be6db7f808d518f2275e30@news.povray.org>
I'm testing the panoramic projection and no matter what I put in for angle in
the camera it is 180 degrees wide. It is also 180 degrees tall. Angle has no
effect on the image at all.
Here is the entire code:

camera {
  panoramic
  location <0,0,0>
  look_at <0,0,1>
  angle 210
  //up y
  right x
}
sphere {
        <0,0,0>,10000
        pigment {
                image_map {
                        jpeg "pano.jpg"
                        //interpolate 2
                        map_type 1
                }
        }
        finish { ambient rgb <1,1,1>}
}

The pano.jpg is this:
http://flashpanoramas.com/player/examples/images/ktulhu2.jpg

Whatever I put in for right doesn't change the angle (horizontal or vertical)
either. You would think that it would change the vertical angle because that is
what it does for perspective. Instead it has a very strange effect of expanding
things on the left and right sides and squishing things in the middle, although
nothing new is shown and nothing is removed. Right is only correct with just the
value x, then the image matches with one side of the original image, except
mirrored, because the sphere is viewed from the inside.

This is the same for both 3.6.2 and 3.7
I'm on Vista 64 using the 64 bit versions of POV-ray.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm testing the panoramic projection and no matter what I put in for angle in
> the camera it is 180 degrees wide. It is also 180 degrees tall. Angle has no
> effect on the image at all.

   Your are getting confused by the word "panorama", which is used to
refer to many different projections. What you reaaaally want in this
case, is the spherical camera.

   Regards,

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> El 11/09/11 00:38, bugefun escribió:
> > I'm testing the panoramic projection and no matter what I put in for angle in
> > the camera it is 180 degrees wide. It is also 180 degrees tall. Angle has no
> > effect on the image at all.

>    Your are getting confused by the word "panorama", which is used to
> refer to many different projections. What you reaaaally want in this
> case, is the spherical camera.

  In some cases the cylindrical camera might also apply, depending on the
intended target medium of the end result.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Am 11.09.2011 12:53, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:

>> I'm testing the panoramic projection and no matter what I put in for
>> angle in
>> the camera it is 180 degrees wide. It is also 180 degrees tall. Angle
>> has no
>> effect on the image at all.
>
> Your are getting confused by the word "panorama", which is used to refer
> to many different projections. What you reaaaally want in this case, is
> the spherical camera.

Maybe ;)  but this does not change the fact that the angle keyword seems
to have no effect here while I would expect it has.

-Ive

Post a reply to this message