POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception. Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:50:16 EDT (-0400)
  The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception. (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: ve3wtj
Subject: The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception.
Date: 23 Dec 2008 12:20:00
Message: <web.49511c8dc6cd787953ade9cb0@news.povray.org>
Hello.

POVRay Version=3.6
OS=Windows XP Pro SP3
PC=HP nx9420.
CPU=Intel T2400, 1.83 GHz.
RAM=1.50GB.

I'm trying to model and render a lightbulb.

I have an isosurface and a sphere.  Each renders fine on it's own, but if I
bring the sphere close enough, POVRay crashes.  I've expanded the texture and
finish of the isosurface, and found that if I remark out the reflection, the
render completes.

Is there a workaround for enabling reflection?

Here's my scene, in part:

isosurface {
   function {  sqrt(pow(x,2) + pow(z,2)+2*cos(2*pi*5*(y-6)/12+atan2(x,z)))}
   contained_by {  box { <-20,6,-20>, <20,18,20> }   }
   threshold 5     //threshold should be max radius
    //surface appears when function = threshold
    open
    texture {
    pigment { rgb <0.70, 0.56, 0.37> }
    finish {
        metallic
        ambient 0.1
        diffuse 0.65
        specular 0.85
        roughness 0.01
      //  reflection 0.45
        brilliance 1.5
     } // end finish
} //end texture
  } //end isosurface

//bulb
sphere {<0,18+6,0>,12.7/2
pigment {rgbf <1,1,1,0.7>}
}

// camera
camera{
        location <0, 0, -100>    //move away from wall.
        rotate <35,45,0>         //rotate camera relative to look_at point
elev=35, azim=45.
        look_at <0, 6.4, 0>
        right  <1.6,0,0>         // use left hand coord system (x is positive)

}

//background
background { color red 0.196078 green 0.6 blue 0.8 }

// scene lighting
light_source {<-300, 400, -500> color <1,1,1>}

Post a reply to this message

> I have an isosurface and a sphere.  Each renders fine on it's own, but if I
> bring the sphere close enough, POVRay crashes.  I've expanded the texture and
> finish of the isosurface, and found that if I remark out the reflection, the
> render completes.

Just one quick thought: Do you have histogram output enabled? If so, try
without. I had crashes a while ago that looked like scene complexity issues but
finally turned out to be related to this feature.