POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Parse error: Uncategorized error thrown at parser/parsertypes.cpp line 62 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Parse error: Uncategorized error thrown at parser/parsertypes.cpp line 62 (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Warren
Subject: Parse error: Uncategorized error thrown at parser/parsertypes.cpp line 62
Date: 19 Mar 2019 16:05:01
Message: <web.5c914a829a8674824c2823a70@news.povray.org>
Hello / Hi
I have installed PovRay 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial last sunday on Ubuntu with
the sources compilation.
To easily switch between several povray versions I have the following files in
'usr/local/bin' :
'povray3-7' which is the binary of the stable 3.7 branch
'povray3-8' which is the binary of the 3.8.0[etc] described above
and a file 'povray' which is a symbolic link that can point to one of the two
binaries above.

I have a scene that renders with povray 3.7 but doesn't with v3.8.
With the 3.8 version, povray outputs the following message in the console:

==== [Parsing...] ==========================================================
File 'trees/kapok.tree' line 4: Possible Parse Error: Uncategorized error thrown
 at parser/parsertypes.cpp line 62.
Fatal error in parser: Uncategorized error.
Render failed

And I don't know how to solve this problem, even after parsing by myself
'kapok.tree' file.

Here is the output of the frist lines of 'kapok.tree' :
// TREE_NAME=Defaut;
//ROOT
#declare ROOTS=4;
#declare ROOT_RANDOM=13;
#declare FIRST_ROOT_AT_TRUNK=70;
#declare ROOT_LENGTH=200;
#declare ROOT_THICKNESS_CHANGE=0.85;

-----------------
In the pov file I have this line that loads 'kapok.tree' :
LoadTree("trees/kapok.tree")

And the 'LoadTree()' macro is defined like that :
#macro LoadTree(filePath)
 #include filePath
 #include "povtree/TOMTREE-1.5.inc"
#end

---------------
When I input 'povray --version' in the console, I have the following output:

POV-Ray 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial

This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 Antoine FAURE <https://www.ant01.fr>
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

Copyright 1991-2019 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
  I/O restrictions:          enabled
  X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
  Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff openexr
  Unsupported image formats: -

Compilation settings:
  Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
  Compiler vendor:     gnu
  Compiler version:    g++-8 8
  Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -Wsuggest-override -s -O3
-ffast-math -march=native -pthread

In the hope that helps...

Post a reply to this message

> I have installed PovRay 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial last sunday on Ubuntu with
> the sources compilation.
> To easily switch between several povray versions I have the following files in
> 'usr/local/bin' :
> 'povray3-7' which is the binary of the stable 3.7 branch
> 'povray3-8' which is the binary of the 3.8.0[etc] described above
> and a file 'povray' which is a symbolic link that can point to one of the two
> binaries above.
>
> I have a scene that renders with povray 3.7 but doesn't with v3.8.
> With the 3.8 version, povray outputs the following message in the console:

I can confirm the v38 issue. Also running Ubuntu 18.04 though g++7 vs
Warren's 8.

It seems the v3.8 branch (commit 74b3ebe) needs a space ahead of the
macro #end statement to work as follows:

#macro LoadThing(filePath)
     #include filePath
  #end                 // <-- Add extra space before #end and OK

LoadThing("zoomBangCrash.inc")

and whenever the include file has an empty line, C++ comment style line,
C++ comment line and then a declare line. The following for
zoomBangCrash.inc, less the line numbers, is also a v3.8 parse issue if
there is no space ahead of the main file macro #end:

01
02 //
03 //
04 #declare A=1;

Perturb the include much and things work whether there is a space before
the macro #end or not. Change the #declare A=1; to #declare Sphere00 =
sphere { 0, 1 } for example and things are fine.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> > I have installed PovRay 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial last sunday on Ubuntu with
> > the sources compilation.
> > To easily switch between several povray versions I have the following files in
> > 'usr/local/bin' :
> > 'povray3-7' which is the binary of the stable 3.7 branch
> > 'povray3-8' which is the binary of the 3.8.0[etc] described above
> > and a file 'povray' which is a symbolic link that can point to one of the two
> > binaries above.
> >
> > I have a scene that renders with povray 3.7 but doesn't with v3.8.
> > With the 3.8 version, povray outputs the following message in the console:

> I can confirm the v38 issue. Also running Ubuntu 18.04 though g++7 vs
> Warren's 8.
>
> It seems the v3.8 branch (commit 74b3ebe) needs a space ahead of the
> macro #end statement to work as follows:
>
> #macro LoadThing(filePath)
>      #include filePath
>   #end                 // <-- Add extra space before #end and OK
>
> LoadThing("zoomBangCrash.inc")
>
> and whenever the include file has an empty line, C++ comment style line,
> C++ comment line and then a declare line. The following for
> zoomBangCrash.inc, less the line numbers, is also a v3.8 parse issue if
> there is no space ahead of the main file macro #end:
>
> 01
> 02 //
> 03 //
> 04 #declare A=1;
>
> Perturb the include much and things work whether there is a space before
> the macro #end or not. Change the #declare A=1; to #declare Sphere00 =
> sphere { 0, 1 } for example and things are fine.
>
> Bill P.

Hello / Hi
I made the changes you suggested and everything works fine now (I get all the
textures I normally have when I use v3.7 but with the v3.8 this time). In fact,
I use the v3.8 because there's a bug in the v3.7 with the conic_sweep prisms
when the camera is orthographic and its direction perpendicular to the caps of
the pyramid ( I posted a message about this bug some time ago, it seemed povray
3.7 fail to find roots ). Thank you for your support :-D

Post a reply to this message

Am 20.03.2019 um 19:27 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> I can confirm the v38 issue. Also running Ubuntu 18.04 though g++7 vs
> Warren's 8.
>
> It seems the v3.8 branch (commit 74b3ebe) needs a space ahead of the
> macro #end statement to work as follows:
>
> #macro LoadThing(filePath)
>      #include filePath
>   #end                 // <-- Add extra space before #end and OK
>
> LoadThing("zoomBangCrash.inc")
>
> and whenever the include file has an empty line, C++ comment style line,
> C++ comment line and then a declare line. The following for
> zoomBangCrash.inc, less the line numbers, is also a v3.8 parse issue if
> there is no space ahead of the main file macro #end:
>
> 01
> 02 //
> 03 //
> 04 #declare A=1;

Can't reproduce on Windows; neither with DOS line endings (CR+LF) nor
with Unix line endings (LF).

I'm running a slightly modified version, but if any of those
modifications make any difference, I wouldn't know which ones.

Do you have the time and energy to investigate this further?

Post a reply to this message

> Am 20.03.2019 um 19:27 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> Can't reproduce on Windows; neither with DOS line endings (CR+LF) nor
> with Unix line endings (LF).
>
> I'm running a slightly modified version, but if any of those
> modifications make any difference, I wouldn't know which ones.
>
> Do you have the time and energy to investigate this further?

Not today with a family visit later, but I'll put it on the list to play
with the issue more this weekend.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 3/22/19 6:44 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 3/21/19 3:18 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 20.03.2019 um 19:27 schrieb William F Pokorny:

>> Can't reproduce on Windows; neither with DOS line endings (CR+LF) nor
>> with Unix line endings (LF).
>>
>> I'm running a slightly modified version, but if any of those
>> modifications make any difference, I wouldn't know which ones.
>>
>> Do you have the time and energy to investigate this further?
>
> Not today with a family visit later, but I'll put it on the list to play
> with the issue more this weekend.

That was painful to run down, but changing Parser::IsEndOfInvokedMacro()
in the file source/parser/parser_tokenizer.cpp as in the attached file
fixes the issue.

Have to admit I'm not sure even now I completely understand what was
happening (how it could happen perhaps). We seem to have been comparing
structures in the original - which I don't think c++ does by default?

return (Cond_Stack.back().PMac->endPosition ==
CurrentFilePosition()) && ...

If this true though, why no compile warning or error? In any case, once
in a while on the structure compare some error got thrown and caught by
the parser code and no message was set which is why we get the unhelpful
generic something wrong message. Mostly calls to the compare above
seemed to work - including ones prior to the failing one for the test
case - returning false always.

I'm tempted to add a throw on a true test for the re-coded version then
run a bunch of stuff to see if it true ever really happens. Have we been
doing something like comparing pointers (and so false) always? But, I've
already spent a day on this and I don't feel like spending additional
time.

For the particular test cases you can also hard code that function to
return false always and things work because that test is always false
for it.

Lastly, I did try a debug -Og compile thinking maybe we had some
compiler issue here, but it failed in the same way.

Anyone who better understands what happened / how direct struct compares
could sort of seem to work, please feel free to jump in and explain.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'isendofinvokedmacro_update.txt' (1 KB)