POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Weird behavior after closing VMWare Player Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:35:42 EDT (-0400)
  Weird behavior after closing VMWare Player (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Weird behavior after closing VMWare Player
Date: 12 Jul 2018 22:56:36
Message: <5b4814e4$1@news.povray.org>
On my host machine, when I close VMWare Player, I have to wait 5-10
minutes to start it again. Otherwise, the program just kind of hangs and
does nothing for a while.

The weird part is, I have to wait 5-10 minutes before I can start
POV-Ray too or it will be super slow. ON MY HOST MACHINE!!

Weird? Yes.

Why is it doing this? Process Hacker does not show any CPU, memory or IO
activity to explain this.

POV-Ray 3.8.0-alpha.9475849+av541.msvc14.win64
VMware® Workstation Player 14.1.1 build-7528167

Post a reply to this message

Le 13/07/2018 à 04:57, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On my host machine, when I close VMWare Player, I have to wait 5-10
> minutes to start it again. Otherwise, the program just kind of hangs and
> does nothing for a while.
>
> The weird part is, I have to wait 5-10 minutes before I can start
> POV-Ray too or it will be super slow. ON MY HOST MACHINE!!
>
> Weird? Yes.
>
> Why is it doing this? Process Hacker does not show any CPU, memory or IO
> activity to explain this.
>
> POV-Ray 3.8.0-alpha.9475849+av541.msvc14.win64
> VMware® Workstation Player 14.1.1 build-7528167

It seems Windows specific... what about the Resource Monitor (open it
from Task manager) ?

IO is one thing, but the swap is another one and your memory might be so
small that the VMWare players asked so much that most other processes
get swapped, and it will take a bit of time for them to come back
naturally (one by one, slowly, triggered by events and forgotten timers).

Rules of thumb with VMWare:
* allocate only half the actual memory to the hosted subsystem.
   If you have 8GB on Windows, the max size for the hosted VMWare is 4GB.
* give the hosted subsytem at least one less true core than the real
number of true cores of the hosting system
  (HT does not count, if you have a 2+2HT CPU on the mother board, the
VWMare should only get 1 CPU, not more)

Post a reply to this message