POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Superellipsoid+Crand=Problem Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Superellipsoid+Crand=Problem (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Superellipsoid+Crand=Problem
Date: 23 Mar 2018 16:37:53
Message: <5ab565a1$1@news.povray.org>
A part of a superellipsoid shape is not covered bzy crand.

Please try the following code to reproduce the faulty crand display (I
also used radiosity):

light_source
{
 < -300000.0, 100000.0, -300000.0 >
 color rgb < 1.0, 0.949, 0.850 >
}

camera
{
 location < -90.0, 20.0, -20.0 >
 look_at < -55.0, 0.0, 0.0 >
}

union
{
 superellipsoid
 {
  < 1.25, 0.25 >
 }
 texture
 {
  pigment { color rgb < 0.816, 0.752, 0.533 > }
  finish { crand 0.75 }
 }
 translate < 0.0, 1.0, 0.0 >
 scale < 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 >
 rotate < 0.0, 90.0, 0.0 >
}

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

Le 23/03/2018 à 21:37, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> A part of a superellipsoid shape is not covered bzy crand.
>
> Please try the following code to reproduce the faulty crand display (I
> also used radiosity):
>
> light_source
> {
>  < -300000.0, 100000.0, -300000.0 >
>  color rgb < 1.0, 0.949, 0.850 >
> }
>
> camera
> {
>  location < -90.0, 20.0, -20.0 >
>  look_at < -55.0, 0.0, 0.0 >
> }
>
> union
> {
>  superellipsoid
>  {
>   < 1.25, 0.25 >
>  }
>  texture
>  {
>   pigment { color rgb < 0.816, 0.752, 0.533 > }
>   finish { crand 0.75 }
>  }
>  translate < 0.0, 1.0, 0.0 >
>  scale < 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 >
>  rotate < 0.0, 90.0, 0.0 >
> }
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Which version of povray ?
I tried it on 3.7, adding the two extra lines at start:
#version 3.7;
global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }

I even added a sky_sphere to get a bit of background
sky_sphere{
  pigment { color srgb <0.6, 0.4, 0.2 >}
}

And from that point, I do not see your problem, after checking the
documentation:
The crand keyword can be added to a finish to cause a minor random
darkening in the diffuse reflection of direct illumination. Typical
values range from crand 0.01 to crand 0.5 or higher. The default value
is 0.

Darkening is happening.

The difference between a.png & b.png is commenting the finish.

Same shape, darkened with crand. Of course with a black background, some
part does not appear, black on black is hard to see from simple black.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'a.png' (6 KB) Download 'b.png' (6 KB)

Preview of image 'a.png'
a.png

Preview of image 'b.png'
b.png