POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Grayscale_Output=yes doesn't work Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:11:38 EDT (-0400)
  Grayscale_Output=yes doesn't work (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Leroy
Subject: Grayscale_Output=yes doesn't work
Date: 13 Mar 2015 17:34:26
Message: <550357e2@news.povray.org>
I've got
  Micrsoft Windows XP
  Home Edition
  Version 2002
  Service Pack 2
  Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU
   E2160 @ 1.80GHz
  1.79Ghz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Pov version 3.7.0Rc7.msvc10-sse2.win32

I've tried putting it in the ini like the docs say.
I've put in the the comand line option windows has.
I even change the version to 3.6 and put 'hf_gray_16 in global_settings.
I haven't try to output to a file (there's no point if you can't display
it).
Any Ideals?

Post a reply to this message

> I've tried putting it in the ini like the docs say.
> I've put in the the comand line option windows has.
> I even change the version to 3.6 and put 'hf_gray_16 in global_settings.
> I haven't try to output to a file (there's no point if you can't display
> it).
> Any Ideals?

As stated in the doc: hg_gray_16 is deprecated, and no more effective
with 3.7 (even in compatibility mode).

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Global_Settings

Grayscale_Output need a png or ppm output format.

I would concede that despite the documentation, the preview is not
greyscale (at least on my linux). But the output image is greyscale, and
16 bits.

gray.ini
********
Grayscale_output=true

gray.pov
********
#version 3.7
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }

camera { location <0,0,-100>
up y
direction z
right image_width/image_height*x
}

sphere { 0, 30 texture { pigment { color red 1 } finish { emission 0.5 } } }
light_source { <40,-30,-20>*20, 1 }

Command-line
povray gray.ini -Igray.pov

Post a reply to this message

 > I would concede that despite the documentation, the preview is not
 > greyscale (at least on my linux). But the output image is greyscale,
 >and 16 bits.

So is this a document thing or a bug?
My bet is a bug.

Post a reply to this message