POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : netpbm, ppm, read bug Server Time
16 Apr 2024 14:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  netpbm, ppm, read bug (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: netpbm, ppm, read bug
Date: 10 Aug 2013 15:01:54
Message: <52068e22$1@news.povray.org>
I've recently been working with the netpbm ppm format and I have hit

bug in all netpbm formats.  I am aware of the long standing povray issue
with the netpbm file formats header where the height and width need to
be on the same line as the magic number though that is not a requirement
of the official format.  This bug is different.

Namely in working with a larger number of ppm files I hit cases where a

the first byte of data after the line feed (LF) (Ubuntu linux 12.04)
happens to have a carriage return (CR) value.

The code which is set up to interpret the netpbm headers is reading a

pulling in the first byte of data with the CR value as part of the line.
When the read by binary data, 8 or 16 bits at a time, starts the povray
read code is offset into the data by one byte too many.

The result from 10,000 meters, if input values were completely random
file to file, would be netpbm read fails for size that make no sense in
1/256 files. In practice & depending on data some might never see fails
while an unfortunate few might almost always fail.

I'd make some argument any CR following a LF character should not be
pulled in as part of the line read even on windows/dos systems where
CRLF is the usual line termination order. I think though the real fix is
better netpbm header reading code which more strictly breaks apart  the
header on the first whitespace character doing the last depth break
aware of the file size so it can decide what portion of any valid
sequence of whitespce characters after the decimal depth value is data
and not whitespace.

If this is all known and I missed it, please let me know. If not an
understood bug with the netpbm binary reads,  would someone please
confirm the bug. I have posted a tarball to p.b.misc which when unpacked

fails.ppm data is all 0x0D while works.ppm data bytes are all 0x0C.

Thanks for your time.
Bill P.

Post a reply to this message