POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Re: bounded_by ? Server Time
23 Jun 2024 14:47:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounded_by ? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: bounded_by ?
Date: 3 Nov 1999 20:34:21
Message: <3820e29d@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:52:29 -0600, Lothar Esser wrote:
>Should I simply ignore this warning or is there something I can do about
>it.

You can specify -UR on the command line to turn off unnecessary bounds
removal but it's a bug that POV tries to remove it in the first place,
and it might be considered a bug that it doesn't entirely succeed.
I've crossposted this message to .bugreports, with followups back to
..general.

POV will remove the bounds on all objects except unions, intersections,
merges, polys, and texts.  Obviously quadrics and quartics should be in
this list, too, unless they were among the handful of quadrics that
POV can bound automatically (ellipsoids and axis-aligned cones, cylinders,
paraboloids, hyperboloids, etc.)

The reason it still renders faster even after the bounding volume is
removed is that the bounding box of the bounding volume gets assigned
to another variable in the quadric object [1] before the bounding
volume gets nuked [2].  This bounding volume remains because the
"computed" volume is "larger."  Thus, just destroying the bounding
object doesn't entirely remove the effects of the bounded_by statement.

[1] POV computes bbox at the end of Parse_Object_Mods
[2] in Link_To_Frame, called by Parse_Frame after the object is completely
    parsed