POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Font use bug Server Time
13 May 2024 17:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Font use bug (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Peter Larsen
Subject: Font use bug
Date: 25 Aug 1999 11:40:45
Message: <37c40e7d@news.povray.org>
I've tried to use the attached font (Sthlm.ttf - 18kb) in povray but alwasy
recieves this type of message:

Character 80 (0x50) not found in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Sthlm.ttf

And I have the font-file in that location. Could this file be corrupt in
some way? It is working without problems when used in other type of
programs. I think it got to be a minor bug in the font reader procedure or
something.

Well, if someone get the font working please tell me how you did!

Thanks!

/Peter

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'STHLM.TTF.dat' (18 KB)

> I've tried to use the attached font (Sthlm.ttf - 18kb) in povray but alwasy
> recieves this type of message:
>
> Character 80 (0x50) not found in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Sthlm.ttf
>
> And I have the font-file in that location. Could this file be corrupt in
> some way? It is working without problems when used in other type of
> programs. I think it got to be a minor bug in the font reader procedure or
> something.
>
> Well, if someone get the font working please tell me how you did!
>
> Thanks!
>
> /Peter
>
>                 Name: STHLM.TTF
>    STHLM.TTF    Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
>             Encoding: x-uuencode

OK. I think that I've got some stuff figured out.

The problem is that POV-Ray is currently hardcoded to use the Macintosh
encoding tables in a font. Additionally, it is hardcoded to use format 0 of
those tables, and the font you have contains format 6 for those tables.

So, the bad news is that you cant use that specific font with the standard
POV-Ray.

The good news is that you can use my Unicode patch for POV-Ray to get it to
work. This is also included in the current SuperPatch! (I like saying
SuperPatch!)

Currently the patch trades hardcoding Macintosh tables for Windows Unicode
tables. That solves the problem for most except some Apple-only fonts. I'm in
the process of fixing that and getting it working with everything, but it
takes a bit to get POV-Ray to do the right thing.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.