POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : nan (not a number) Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  nan (not a number) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Daniele Varrazzo
Subject: nan (not a number)
Date: 14 Apr 1999 11:35:50
Message: <3714a7c6.0@news.povray.org>
vnormalize (<0, 0, 0>) isn't matematically defined... but POV-Ray 3.1a
(windows) returns a "perfectly valid" <nan, nan, nan> vector... it's a sin
that there isn't any IsNan() function or something like that to recognize
it. And if i use this vector in any object the perser locks only while
creating light buffers.
I think vnormalize (<0, 0, 0>) should return an error in parsing time, and
POV should be compiled ignoring them.

Post a reply to this message

> vnormalize (<0, 0, 0>) isn't matematically defined... but POV-Ray 3.1a
> (windows) returns a "perfectly valid" <nan, nan, nan> vector... it's a sin
> that there isn't any IsNan() function or something like that to recognize
> it.

There is!

#declare myvector = <0,0,0>

#if((myvector.x == 0) && (myvector.y == 0) && (myvector.z == 0))
#error "Error"
#endif

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

In povray.general "Daniele Varrazzo" <piro at officine dot it> wrote:
: vnormalize (<0, 0, 0>) isn't matematically defined... but POV-Ray 3.1a
: (windows) returns a "perfectly valid" <nan, nan, nan> vector... it's a sin
: that there isn't any IsNan() function or something like that to recognize
: it.

  I think that's because it's system dependant. Recognizing NaN-values
would make it non-portable.
  In many systems this kind of mathematical operation will just crash
the program.

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]