POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Minor bug in pov for windows message window Server Time
2 Jun 2024 01:56:18 EDT (-0400)
  Minor bug in pov for windows message window (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Minor bug in pov for windows message window
Date: 24 Mar 1999 04:38:24
Message: <36f8b290.0@news.povray.org>
There's a little bug in povray for windows (at least in 3.1a and 3.1d):

  For example, render a scene with max_trace_level 7. After rendering, one
line of the messages window says something like this:

Rays:             40317   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 7/7

  Now change to max_trace_level 5. After rendering, the same line will say:

Rays:             40317   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 7/5

  Obviously it should say 5/5, not 7/5.
  If you restart povray and render the same scene, the line says, correctly:

Rays:             40317   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 5/5

  The max level value will always change to higher but never to lower values
until you restart povray.

  This little bug will probably not annoy most of people, but if you are
watching that value to search for good max_trace_values while changing the
scene, you will get wrong results.

>  There's a little bug in povray for windows (at least in 3.1a and 3.1d):
>
>  For example, render a scene with max_trace_level 7. After rendering, one
>line of the messages window says something like this:
>
>Rays:             40317   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 7/7
>
>  Now change to max_trace_level 5. After rendering, the same line will say:
>
>Rays:             40317   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 7/5
>
>  Obviously it should say 5/5, not 7/5.
>  If you restart povray and render the same scene, the line says,
correctly:

>Rays:             40317   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 5/5
>
>  The max level value will always change to higher but never to lower
values
>until you restart povray.
>
>  This little bug will probably not annoy most of people, but if you are
>watching that value to search for good max_trace_values while changing the
>scene, you will get wrong results.

Why are there two numbers (Max Level A/B) present anyway?...
Since the second one always changes to the value you set in the scene, does
it matter that the first one does not appear to be correct?...

Matt

Post a reply to this message