POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : low CPU load Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  low CPU load (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: low CPU load
Date: 3 Oct 1998 05:54:37
Message: <3615E648.1EB122CA@usa.net>
Don't know if it's a bug..

I have a dual-P2-400 machine, using NT4; when I do a render POV only
uses 30% of the CPU; the max it could use is 50% (it's single threaded,
right?) but why doesn't use all the CPU he can get EVEN if priority is
set ti REALTIME?

Thanks

--

Lapo 'Dr.Brain' Luchini
mailto:lap### [at] usanet (PGP Key on keyservers)

Post a reply to this message

What settings do you have for the GUI and RENDER priority ?

--
regards

Nathan O'Brien
no1### [at] no13net
http://www.no13.net

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Don't know if it's a bug..
>
> I have a dual-P2-400 machine, using NT4; when I do a render POV only
> uses 30% of the CPU; the max it could use is 50% (it's single threaded,
> right?) but why doesn't use all the CPU he can get EVEN if priority is
> set ti REALTIME?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Lapo 'Dr.Brain' Luchini
> mailto:lap### [at] usanet (PGP Key on keyservers)
> http://lapo.home.ml.org (ICQ UIN: 529796)

Post a reply to this message

> What settings do you have for the GUI and RENDER priority ?

I tried high, highest, I even tried to set program priority to realtime using
taskManager.. but nothing..

--

Lapo 'Dr.Brain' Luchini
mailto:lap### [at] usanet (PGP Key on keyservers)
http://lapo.home.ml.org (ICQ UIN: 529796)

Post a reply to this message

The only other suggestion is to check for any TSR's.

--
regards

Nathan O'Brien
no1### [at] no13net
http://www.no13.net

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Nathan O'Brien wrote:
>
> > What settings do you have for the GUI and RENDER priority ?
>
> I tried high, highest, I even tried to set program priority to realtime using
> taskManager.. but nothing..
>
> --
>
> Lapo 'Dr.Brain' Luchini
> mailto:lap### [at] usanet (PGP Key on keyservers)
> http://lapo.home.ml.org (ICQ UIN: 529796)

Post a reply to this message

It's just that is singel threaded. One thread running on a two
processor system can use up to 50% of processing power.
Try starting another rendering thread (i.e. 2xPOVray)
and the CPU should go up to 100%

It has nopthing to do with priotity or other TSRs running.

Markus