POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Can't define 4d vectors Server Time
23 Jun 2024 14:41:58 EDT (-0400)
  Can't define 4d vectors (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Philippe Debar
Subject: Can't define 4d vectors
Date: 26 Sep 1998 07:01:51
Message: <360cbb8f.0@news.povray.org>
This:

#declare aVector=<1,2,3,4>;

gets me an error, altough the manual say you can define 4d and 5d vectors.

   POV INFO
POV-Ray for Windows
Version 3.1.beta.6b.watcom.win32 [Pentium II optimised]

   SYSTEM INFO
MS Windows 95 4.00.950 B
IE 4.0 4.711712.6
Pentium Pro 233MHz
128MB RAM

Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: Can't define 4d vectors
Date: 23 Oct 1998 01:52:17
Message: <36300B28.8233D249@ltu.edu>
Philippe Debar wrote:

> This:
>
> #declare aVector=<1,2,3,4>;
>
> gets me an error, altough the manual say you can define 4d and 5d vectors.

That's true, but

#declare a = color<1, 2, 3, 4>;

works just fine.  This also works for 5-d vectors.  Maybe it should be
changed, but it was done intentionally, so it's not really a 'bug'.
Apparantly there is a conflict between the program and the documentation,
so one of them needs to be changed.  I personally think that POV should
be changed so you don't need the 'color'.

NOTE:  you could also use rgbf instead of color for 4-d vectors, and
       rgbft for 5-d vectors.

-Nathan Kopp