POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Part of the body disappear. : Re: Part of the body disappear. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Part of the body disappear.
From: clipka
Date: 7 Dec 2016 15:45:20
Message: <584874e0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.12.2016 um 21:26 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> On 12/07/2016 02:57 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 07.12.2016 um 20:50 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>>> On 12/07/2016 12:35 PM, akopjan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Add 'all_intersections' to your isosurface definition.
>>>
>>> The ray tracing code, by default, stops on the first isosurface-surface.
>>>
>>> There is too 'max_trace <n>' which lets you set the number of surfaces
>>> to find when you know how many surfaces you'll need.
>>
>> (Just for the records, strictly speaking `all_intersections` just sets
>> the `max_trace` parameter to the maximum supported value, which is
>> currently 10.)
>>
> Thanks. I'd always taken the documentation to be correct!
>
> Suppose we should update the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Isosurface
>
> near the bottom of the page.
>
> Jim, Are you listening?

For the records, I would prefer to _not_ document it as
`all_intersections` being an alias for `max_trace 10`, but rather leave
the general wording as is, and instead add a note that the current
implementation still has a limit of 10 intersections in all cases.

Because I have a cunning plan. There must be a way to teach POV-Ray to
automatically re-visit an isosurface if it discards an isosurface
intersection, and we could use `all_intersections` as a keyword to
enable that behaviour.