POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : df3 file utility Server Time: 17 Jan 2019 02:25:03 GMT
  df3 file utility (Message 1 to 10 of 16)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: jr
Subject: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 13:32:06
Message: <5979eb56@news.povray.org>
hi,

some time ago I came across an animation of a fireplace on a website,
done with povray and DF3s, really nice, still managed to lose the
reference though :-(  anyway, that lead to a (fruitless) search for
software to work with DF3 files and, eventually, to a decision to
write my own "df3 tools".

the first tool, df3util, is now "feature complete"[1], documented,
and builds cleanly from a regular source tarball.  it is a "Swiss army
knife"-type utility, providing ten commands from the command-line.
quoting from the man page, the program can "copy, merge, and recode DF3
data, mirror, shift, and rotate it, and output informative summaries
of volumes and their contents", and more.

df3util uses a small 'C' language library "libdf3" to provide an API
for accessing DF3s.  df3util also requires "libpng", which should not
be a problem since povray uses that too.

I've attached the sources for both library and df3util, hoping that
people here will find the first instalment of df3 tools useful,
and will give me some feedback (and help) to make the code better.
the project is licensed under the GPL v3+.

there are still some problems:

o the code has been installed and tested on 64-bit hardware only,
  with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same GNU/Linux
  distribution (Slackware 14.1).  I'm guessing it won't build at
  all on 32-bit machines (hoping actually since there are no
  guards/conditionals in the code for when (off_t) isn't large
  enough, etc).

o no homepage.  I have not yet found a suitable home for df3 tools.
  I'm torn between buying domain name + hosting (ideal, but requires
  monthly/annual payments) and putting the sources on chiselapp (a
  free fossil repository host, but small and future uncertain).
  if you know of other options, not involving github or sourceforge
  or loads of cash, please tell.

o no unified project build.  soon, I hope, there'll be a single df3
  tools package, but I'm still learning how to use the GNU autotools
  and progress is .. slow; for now, unfortunately, two tarballs.

anyway, the project is very much a wip, so please treat this as a
"beta" until I get on top of the homepage and things.

enjoy, jr.  (the jr hoping there won't be [m]any red-faced moments)

[1] the code contains still quite a few todo notes to self and
corners that need tidying.  also, following a recent mention of
R Suzuki's float extension in one of the povray newsgroups,
I plan to add support for reading 'dfd' data.  however,
without more specific information than is given on the website,
some functionality (like '[Cyclic]') may not get included.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'libdf3-0.2.0.tar.gz' (335 KB)
Download 'df3util-0.3.0.tar.gz' (160 KB)

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 14:58:21
Message: <5979ff8d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2017 2:31 PM, jr wrote:
> the first tool, df3util, is now "feature complete"[1], documented,
> and builds cleanly from a regular source tarball.  it is a "Swiss army
> knife"-type utility, providing ten commands from the command-line.
> quoting from the man page, the program can "copy, merge, and recode DF3
> data, mirror, shift, and rotate it, and output informative summaries
> of volumes and their contents", and more.

You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or 
something that could be run from a DOS box?


It sounds useful.
-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 17:20:54
Message: <597a20f6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.07.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Stephen:
> On 7/27/2017 2:31 PM, jr wrote:
>> the first tool, df3util, is now "feature complete"[1], documented,
>> and builds cleanly from a regular source tarball.  it is a "Swiss army
>> knife"-type utility, providing ten commands from the command-line.
>> quoting from the man page, the program can "copy, merge, and recode DF3
>> data, mirror, shift, and rotate it, and output informative summaries
>> of volumes and their contents", and more.
> 
> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
> something that could be run from a DOS box?

Modern Windows 10 can build and run Linux software, thanks to the
confusingly named "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (aka "Bash on Windows"),
which is based on Ubuntu (14.04 if I recall correctly). IIRC there's a
Windows setting to be frobbed first, and then the feature needs to be
actually installed, but once that's done, a Unix terminal environment is
at your fingertips. And ever since the Creator's Update, it even no
longer crashes when trying to rename a directory.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 19:57:00
Message: <597a458c$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 27/07/2017 15:58, Stephen wrote:
> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
> something that could be run from a DOS box?

'fraid not Stephen.  however, VirtualBox (other VM s/wares available)
plus an installation of one the 64-bit GNU/Linux distributions should
see you right; note that many of the "mainstream" distros will require
you to install the "*-dev" versions of the toolchain separately.  still,
no big deal, installing a modern GNU/Linux won't take half an hour.

also, the df3util expects POSIX.1 file names, which means no colon nor
backslashes, so you'd need a *NIX anyway)

regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 20:05:03
Message: <597a476f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17-07-27 à 13:20, clipka a écrit :
> Am 27.07.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 7/27/2017 2:31 PM, jr wrote:
>>> the first tool, df3util, is now "feature complete"[1], documented,
>>> and builds cleanly from a regular source tarball.  it is a "Swiss army
>>> knife"-type utility, providing ten commands from the command-line.
>>> quoting from the man page, the program can "copy, merge, and recode DF3
>>> data, mirror, shift, and rotate it, and output informative summaries
>>> of volumes and their contents", and more.
>>
>> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
>> something that could be run from a DOS box?
> 
> Modern Windows 10 can build and run Linux software, thanks to the
> confusingly named "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (aka "Bash on Windows"),
> which is based on Ubuntu (14.04 if I recall correctly). IIRC there's a
> Windows setting to be frobbed first, and then the feature needs to be
> actually installed, but once that's done, a Unix terminal environment is
> at your fingertips. And ever since the Creator's Update, it even no
> longer crashes when trying to rename a directory.
> 

Present on Windows 7 as well.


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 21:24:49
Message: <597a5a21$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2017 8:56 PM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 27/07/2017 15:58, Stephen wrote:
>> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
>> something that could be run from a DOS box?
>
> 'fraid not Stephen.  however, VirtualBox (other VM s/wares available)
> plus an installation of one the 64-bit GNU/Linux distributions should
> see you right; note that many of the "mainstream" distros will require
> you to install the "*-dev" versions of the toolchain separately.  still,
> no big deal, installing a modern GNU/Linux won't take half an hour.
>
> also, the df3util expects POSIX.1 file names, which means no colon nor
> backslashes, so you'd need a *NIX anyway)
>
> regards, jr.
>

Drat! I thought not. :(
That means more reading and stuffing my overcrowded brain to the limits.
[Or beyond. ;)]


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 21:26:30
Message: <597a5a86$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2017 6:20 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 27.07.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 7/27/2017 2:31 PM, jr wrote:
>>> the first tool, df3util, is now "feature complete"[1], documented,
>>> and builds cleanly from a regular source tarball.  it is a "Swiss army
>>> knife"-type utility, providing ten commands from the command-line.
>>> quoting from the man page, the program can "copy, merge, and recode DF3
>>> data, mirror, shift, and rotate it, and output informative summaries
>>> of volumes and their contents", and more.
>>
>> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
>> something that could be run from a DOS box?
>
> Modern Windows 10 can build and run Linux software, thanks to the
> confusingly named "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (aka "Bash on Windows"),
> which is based on Ubuntu (14.04 if I recall correctly). IIRC there's a
> Windows setting to be frobbed first, and then the feature needs to be
> actually installed, but once that's done, a Unix terminal environment is
> at your fingertips. And ever since the Creator's Update, it even no
> longer crashes when trying to rename a directory.
>

Interesting, thanks.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 27 Jul 2017 22:44:46
Message: <597a6cde$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 27/07/2017 22:24, Stephen wrote:
>> On 27/07/2017 15:58, Stephen wrote:
>>> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
>>> something that could be run from a DOS box?

> Drat! I thought not. :(
> That means more reading and stuffing my overcrowded brain to the limits.
> [Or beyond. ;)]

if you're comfortable with DOS, and ignoring some fundamental
differences for the moment, you'll find your typical *NIX shell is a bit
like DOS on steroids.  I'm quite certain that with some reading and
trial + error :-) etc you'll transition quickly.

regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 28 Jul 2017 07:54:25
Message: <597aedb1$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2017 11:44 PM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 27/07/2017 22:24, Stephen wrote:
>>> On 27/07/2017 15:58, Stephen wrote:
>>>> You wouldn't happen to have a Windoze executable about your person or
>>>> something that could be run from a DOS box?
>
>> Drat! I thought not. :(
>> That means more reading and stuffing my overcrowded brain to the limits.
>> [Or beyond. ;)]
>
> if you're comfortable with DOS, and ignoring some fundamental
> differences for the moment, you'll find your typical *NIX shell is a bit
> like DOS on steroids.  I'm quite certain that with some reading and
> trial + error :-) etc you'll transition quickly.
>
> regards, jr.
>


Thanks for the encouragement jr.
But it will take more than that to make me leave the dark side. ;)
I am comfortable with DOS and I take it out and look at it a couple of 
times a year.
I hadn't thought about using a VM. I might put that on my list of things 
to be done.


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 28 Jul 2017 13:20:00
Message: <web.597b397bc58fd36d16086ed00@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> some time ago I came across an animation of a fireplace on a website,
> done with povray and DF3s, really nice, still managed to lose the
> reference though :-(  anyway, that lead to a (fruitless) search for
> software to work with DF3 files and, eventually, to a decision to
> write my own "df3 tools".
>
Thanks, and great effort, but just so we know what's wrong with it from your
opinion...
Were you aware that Blender's POV-Ray exporter/importer uses a the DF3 python
library to use the format, previews in 3D view, and can also cache smoke in the
other Blender cache format?


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'file_blendertopovraysmoke[1].gif.htm' (15 KB)

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.