POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle - are we bored yet? Server Time
8 Feb 2023 05:14:21 EST (-0500)
  Crackle - are we bored yet? (Message 1 to 10 of 27)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 25 Nov 2022 18:25:00
Message: <web.63814da1c8a26cdeb96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
So this has kind of run away from me a little. It turns out that the voronoi
polygons are far, far more useful than the pigment pattern.

This image is something of an ad-libbed abstract, arising from my vague desire
to do something with these polygons that would be impossible with a crackle
pattern heightfield. Culling collinear points from each polygon saves time and
memory, but also enables us to discard polygons with sides over a certain
length. This removes the infinite outer polygons in the voronoi set. We can also
modify height and color according to location, and of course we can do whatever
we want to build a 3D shape.

Anyway, enough rambling :)

Bill


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'cracklewarts.png' (447 KB)

Preview of image 'cracklewarts.png'
cracklewarts.png


 

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 25 Nov 2022 18:55:00
Message: <web.6381558e7dc652cc1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Culling collinear points from each polygon saves time and
> memory, but also enables us to discard polygons with sides over a certain
> length.

And sides under a certain length...   ;)

And with that very cool twist on Voronoi, no, we are definitely not bored yet.

Very cool image - looks like ice jutting up through the ice/snow in the arctic.
With a glass-type texture, you could even use this to make some convincing
crystal growths.   Submerge them in a liquid to make it look like they're
growing out of the mother liquor...

I was looking at a cantaloupe - and the texture is suggestive of a Voronoi - but
it's not.   I'm wondering if we can do the cylinder thing but only partially
outline the cell.

Also, we have not created a point set on the outside of a sphere and made the
Voronoi from those points...   So the next challenge is 3D.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 25 Nov 2022 19:45:00
Message: <web.638160f07dc652cc1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:


> This image is something of an ad-libbed abstract, arising from my vague desire
> to do something with these polygons that would be impossible with a crackle
> pattern heightfield.

Can you invert that and difference {} the prisms from the plane?

I also think another specific goal would be to make an infinitely tileable
pattern such as POV-Ray has.   And if you toned down the amplitude of the
current scene, and we made it tileable, then I think it would make a cool dried
mud / dry skin texture, that TdG could apply to a Poser model.


Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 26 Nov 2022 01:45:00
Message: <web.6381b4f57dc652cc17bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> So this has kind of run away from me a little. It turns out that the voronoi
> polygons are far, far more useful than the pigment pattern.

Certainly not bored. I used Voro++ in the past to do "stuff". I remember using
it to create a forest, can't find it any more. Found this:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3CXnsA9F59E437D7Dseed7%40news.povray.org%3E/

ingo


Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 26 Nov 2022 07:45:00
Message: <web.6382092a7dc652ccb96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Can you invert that and difference {} the prisms from the plane?

yep


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'cracklewarts_inv.png' (336 KB)

Preview of image 'cracklewarts_inv.png'
cracklewarts_inv.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 27 Nov 2022 08:03:44
Message: <63836030$1@news.povray.org>
Op 26-11-2022 om 01:42 schreef Bald Eagle:
> I also think another specific goal would be to make an infinitely tileable
> pattern such as POV-Ray has.   And if you toned down the amplitude of the
> current scene, and we made it tileable, then I think it would make a cool dried
> mud / dry skin texture, that TdG could apply to a Poser model.
> 

[sound of drumming fingers on table surface]

I am waiting... :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 28 Nov 2022 11:20:00
Message: <web.6384dfa17dc652ccc0ce110b6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> ...
> [sound of drumming fingers on table surface]
> I am waiting... :-)

</grin>  me too.  the (elegant) maths stuff is way beyond me, but the first
"warts" image is amazing, out of 2D make 3.  "magic".  :-)


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 29 Nov 2022 02:18:22
Message: <6385b23e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 28/11/2022 om 17:19 schreef jr:
> hi,
> 
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> ...
>> [sound of drumming fingers on table surface]
>> I am waiting... :-)
> 
> </grin>  me too.  the (elegant) maths stuff is way beyond me, but the first
> "warts" image is amazing, out of 2D make 3.  "magic".  :-)
>


Indeed, yes. Applications suggest themselves but... the magicians need 
to do their thing and all kind of noisome smells, weird sounds, and 
flickering lights are recorded from the Forbidden Grove in Moonless 
nights. ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 29 Nov 2022 20:45:00
Message: <web.6386b54d7dc652cc1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 28/11/2022 om 17:19 schreef jr:
> > hi,
> >
> > Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> >> ...
> >> [sound of drumming fingers on table surface]
> >> I am waiting... :-)
> >
> > </grin>  me too.  the (elegant) maths stuff is way beyond me, but the first
> > "warts" image is amazing, out of 2D make 3.  "magic".  :-)
> >
>
>
> Indeed, yes. Applications suggest themselves but... the magicians need
> to do their thing and all kind of noisome smells, weird sounds, and
> flickering lights are recorded from the Forbidden Grove in Moonless
> nights. ;-)
>
> --
> Thomas

I have it worked out conceptually, and now need to refactor my development scene
and do some actual math if it's going to be a real pigment {function {} } kinda
thing.

A variation on that would be a refinement of Bill P's excellent solution to this
problem - something along the lines of this:
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/727000/equation-of-intersection-of-two-cones
Unless I brainstorm a simpler way.

A "render it to make an image file that can be tiled infinitely" would be
forthcoming WAY sooner.  Maybe.

I have food and garden produce processing projects pending, am finalizing the
restoration of an heirloom 110 year old table, it's the Seasonal rush at work
--- and we just had someone killed in their forklift, so that has made things -
more complicated than usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3DvFkUOOZQ

Also I haven't coded a scene this complex in a while, I have misplaced the Dried
Frog Pills, and I need to transcend the fact that - I'm an imbecile.   ;)

But I'm getting ideas as I type, so as usual, the situation is - fluid.



All the best to everyone, their families and friends, as 2022 comes to a close,
and the imminent arrival of The Global Circus of 2023 draws near.


- BE


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
Date: 30 Nov 2022 02:44:48
Message: <638709f0$1@news.povray.org>
Op 30/11/2022 om 02:43 schreef Bald Eagle:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Op 28/11/2022 om 17:19 schreef jr:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>>> ...
>>>> [sound of drumming fingers on table surface]
>>>> I am waiting... :-)
>>>
>>> </grin>  me too.  the (elegant) maths stuff is way beyond me, but the first
>>> "warts" image is amazing, out of 2D make 3.  "magic".  :-)
>>>
>>
>>
>> Indeed, yes. Applications suggest themselves but... the magicians need
>> to do their thing and all kind of noisome smells, weird sounds, and
>> flickering lights are recorded from the Forbidden Grove in Moonless
>> nights. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
> 
> I have it worked out conceptually, and now need to refactor my development scene
> and do some actual math if it's going to be a real pigment {function {} } kinda
> thing.
> 
> A variation on that would be a refinement of Bill P's excellent solution to this
> problem - something along the lines of this:
>
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/727000/equation-of-intersection-of-two-cones
> Unless I brainstorm a simpler way.
> 
> A "render it to make an image file that can be tiled infinitely" would be
> forthcoming WAY sooner.  Maybe.
> 
> I have food and garden produce processing projects pending, am finalizing the
> restoration of an heirloom 110 year old table, it's the Seasonal rush at work
> --- and we just had someone killed in their forklift, so that has made things -
> more complicated than usual.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3DvFkUOOZQ
> 
> Also I haven't coded a scene this complex in a while, I have misplaced the Dried
> Frog Pills, and I need to transcend the fact that - I'm an imbecile.   ;)
> 
> But I'm getting ideas as I type, so as usual, the situation is - fluid.
> 
> 
> 
> All the best to everyone, their families and friends, as 2022 comes to a close,
> and the imminent arrival of The Global Circus of 2023 draws near.
> 

No worry, Bill. As you know, we like to poke into the hot coals once in 
a while. Life (the Real one) has its own pace and priorities, I know all 
too well... Take care and don't get overwhelmed.

Also avoid batch 22-0004-b043 of your Dried Frog Pills, if you still 
have it. It has been contaminated with jitter powder from an unknown 
source. :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.