So now that I've had enough time to be inspired, brainstorm, experiment, be
corrected, learn, and do more brainstorming, I started playing around with some
of the standard pigment patterns and functions, with an eye toward making some
feature-added patterns like I did here:
So the first thing I did was fall asleep while thinking about a quick, slick
method for simply and directly calculating which octant a vector was in, without
resorting to a nested select() function.
Someone already had the same idea and worked out the specifics, so I just ran
Then I scaled the function output to return (almost) evenly spaced values
between 0-1, and got that all working and tested out.
Then I just used that and wrote another function to assign values to the pairs
of octants that compose the quadrants.
Then I simply wrote a simple function to split space into 2 half-planes.
And added a way to introduce a scaled gradient if desired.
So here are the 3 pigment patterns at their present stage, with some spheres
that are all just assigned the same single space-dividing function pigment.
They are NOT individually pigmented spheres, they are a union assigned a single
Post a reply to this message
Download 'octantpattern.png' (67 KB)
Preview of image 'octantpattern.png'