POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The sphere within - 1 attachment Server Time: 17 Feb 2019 21:39:56 GMT
  The sphere within - 1 attachment (Message 1 to 10 of 13)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 10:53:01
Message: <Xns936C83AA06332torolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
Finally I had this CSG-shape rendered in
glass and lit properly. The rendering was
about 36 hours on my 2GHz Athlon PC.

I'm struggling a bit with some curved
coincident surfaces.

Here's an image i posted earlier with the
same shape in it:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/13533/


Tor Olav


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'Glass_Ball_CSG.jpg' (42 KB)

Preview of image 'Glass_Ball_CSG.jpg'
Glass_Ball_CSG.jpg


 

From: Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 18:17:10
Message: <3eaec1a6$1@news.povray.org>
Wow...

How did you do this using CSG?

Looks cool.

Fernando.


Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 19:11:28
Message: <3eaece60$1@news.povray.org>
Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto wrote:
> How did you do this using CSG?

Looks like some torii and spheres cleverly differenced
by either cones or cylinders or both.

-- 
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GFA dpu- s: a?-- C++(++++) U P? L E--- W++(+++)>$
N++ o? K- w(+) O? M-(--) V? PS+(+++) PE(--) Y(--)
PGP-(--) t* 5++>+++++ X+ R* tv+ b++(+++) DI
D++(---) G(++) e*>++ h+ !r--- !y--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------


Post a reply to this message

From: Steve
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 19:42:45
Message: <slrnbatkqg.tp6.steve@zeropps.org.uk>
On 29 Apr 2003 06:53:01 -0400, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> 
> Finally I had this CSG-shape rendered in
> glass and lit properly. The rendering was
> about 36 hours on my 2GHz Athlon PC.
> 
> I'm struggling a bit with some curved
> coincident surfaces.
> 
> Here's an image i posted earlier with the
> same shape in it:

That's beautiful, I've saved it to be used as a future desktop image. 

-- 
#local i=.1;#local I=(i/i)/i;#local l=(i+i)/i;#local ll=(I/i)/l;box{<-ll,
-((I/I)+l),-ll><ll,-l,ll>pigment{checker scale l}finish{ambient((I/l)/I)+
(l/I)}}sphere{<i-i,l-l,(I/l)>l/l pigment{rgb((I/l)/I)}finish{reflection((
I/l)/I)-(l/I)specular(I/l)/I}}light_source{<I-l,I+I,(I-l)/l>l/l} // Steve


Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 21:44:25
Message: <3eaef239@news.povray.org>
That's really nice. Simple but complicated at the same time (i.e. it would take
me ages to make something like that!).

It's on a black background, so what's it reflecting? Did you just put some
no_image objects in there to make the reflections look more glassy? :)

Any chance you could show us the source for that object?

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com


"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor_olav_kCURLYAhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
>
> Finally I had this CSG-shape rendered in
> glass and lit properly. The rendering was
> about 36 hours on my 2GHz Athlon PC.
>
> I'm struggling a bit with some curved
> coincident surfaces.
>
> Here's an image i posted earlier with the
> same shape in it:
>
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/13533/
>
>
> Tor Olav
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 22:16:48
Message: <Xns936D37F82F77torolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
"Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto" <fgd### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in 
news:3eaec1a6$1@news.povray.org:

> Wow...
> 
> How did you do this using CSG?
> 
> Looks cool.

Thank you.

It is made with CSG of spheres and tori. I made
a macro to do all the math and cutting work.

You can find it in the source code for the
"Fung_CSG" image at this page:

http://home.no/t-o-k/povray/

The name of the macro is BetweenTori().


Here is a cut-away view of the shape:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/13478/


I can try to explain more later this week if
you or anyone else are interested.


Tor Olav


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 22:21:47
Message: <Xns936D45837641torolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in news:3eaece60$1@news.povray.org:

> Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto wrote:
>> How did you do this using CSG?
> 
> Looks like some torii and spheres cleverly differenced
> by either cones or cylinders or both.

You are close, but although it seems that there
are cones and cylinders involved, there are none.

It only CSG with spheres and tori (and a plane).


Tor Olav


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 22:24:05
Message: <Xns936D4BBB36E6torolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
Steve <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote in 
news:slr### [at] zeroppsorguk:

> On 29 Apr 2003 06:53:01 -0400, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>> 
>> Finally I had this CSG-shape rendered in
>> glass and lit properly. The rendering was
>> about 36 hours on my 2GHz Athlon PC.
>> 
>> I'm struggling a bit with some curved
>> coincident surfaces.
>> 
>> Here's an image i posted earlier with the
>> same shape in it:
> 
> That's beautiful, I've saved it to be used as a future desktop image. 

I'm glad you like it Steve.

If my PC gets unemployed for a longer period,
then I'll render and post a larger version of it.


Tor Olav


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 29 Apr 2003 22:42:37
Message: <Xns936D7E0DE34Etorolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in news:3eaef239@news.povray.org:

> That's really nice. Simple but complicated at the same time (i.e. it
> would take me ages to make something like that!).
> 
> It's on a black background, so what's it reflecting? Did you just put
> some no_image objects in there to make the reflections look more
> glassy? :) 
> 
> Any chance you could show us the source for that object?

Thank you Tek.

The background is just two plain discs behind each
other. Apart from the object itself there are no
other objects in the scene. (There is of course a
light source to produce the highlit spot.)

The disc closest to the camera is black and covers
just the view of the camera.

The other disc is white and is placed right behind
the black one. It's radius is 10 times bigger.
(It can be replaced with an infinite plane.)

I hope that I can find time to clean up the code and
show it later this week.


Tor Olav


Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Re: The sphere within - 1 attachment
Date: 30 Apr 2003 10:40:01
Message: <3eafa801$1@news.povray.org>
I'm interested! If you've got the time, explain! :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Homepage: http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

>
> > Wow...
> >
> > How did you do this using CSG?
> >
> > Looks cool.
>
> Thank you.
>
> It is made with CSG of spheres and tori. I made
> a macro to do all the math and cutting work.
>
> You can find it in the source code for the
> "Fung_CSG" image at this page:
>
> http://home.no/t-o-k/povray/
>
> The name of the macro is BetweenTori().
>
>
> Here is a cut-away view of the shape:
>
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/13478/
>
>
> I can try to explain more later this week if
> you or anyone else are interested.
>
>
> Tor Olav


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.