POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : N (Captain Nemo) revisited Server Time: 18 Jun 2019 06:37:44 GMT
  N (Captain Nemo) revisited (Message 1 to 10 of 35)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 07:43:36
Message: <5ab0bba8@news.povray.org>
Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this lately 
with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to change 
some elements but the comparison over ten years of using POV-Ray are 
notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'n.jpg' (317 KB)

Preview of image 'n.jpg'
n.jpg


 

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 08:07:45
Message: <5ab0c151$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/03/2018 07:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this lately 
> with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to change 
> some elements but the comparison over ten years of using POV-Ray are 
> notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.
> 

Much better to my eyes.
Although I think you cheated a bit by changing the camera angle. 
Although that could come under "changing insights and skills".

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 08:23:27
Message: <5ab0c4ff@news.povray.org>
On 20-3-2018 9:07, Stephen wrote:
> On 20/03/2018 07:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
>> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this 
>> lately with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to 
>> change some elements but the comparison over ten years of using 
>> POV-Ray are notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.
>>
> 
> Much better to my eyes.
> Although I think you cheated a bit by changing the camera angle. 
> Although that could come under "changing insights and skills".
> 

The latest is true as I now used DrJohn's "falling building syndrome" 
macro here, and de-rotated the camera. However, my ultimate objective 
was not to recreate the scene exactly. Evolution was allowed.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 08:40:40
Message: <5ab0c908@news.povray.org>
On 20/03/2018 08:23, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 20-3-2018 9:07, Stephen wrote:
>> On 20/03/2018 07:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
>>> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this 
>>> lately with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to 
>>> change some elements but the comparison over ten years of using 
>>> POV-Ray are notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.
>>>
>>
>> Much better to my eyes.
>> Although I think you cheated a bit by changing the camera angle. 
>> Although that could come under "changing insights and skills".
>>
> 
> The latest is true as I now used DrJohn's "falling building syndrome" 
> macro here, and de-rotated the camera. However, my ultimate objective 
> was not to recreate the scene exactly. Evolution was allowed.
> 

Or do you mean intelligent re-design. ;-)
No matter what a great improvement.


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 08:42:58
Message: <5ab0c992$1@news.povray.org>
Obviously, I forgot to mention:

- in 2008, the scene was rendered with MegaPOV version 1.21
- in 2018, the scene was rendered with UberPOV version 
1.37.1.1-alpha.8871946.msvc14.win64


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 08:44:41
Message: <5ab0c9f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 20-3-2018 9:40, Stephen wrote:
> On 20/03/2018 08:23, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 20-3-2018 9:07, Stephen wrote:
>>> On 20/03/2018 07:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
>>>> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this 
>>>> lately with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want 
>>>> to change some elements but the comparison over ten years of using 
>>>> POV-Ray are notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new 
>>>> version.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Much better to my eyes.
>>> Although I think you cheated a bit by changing the camera angle. 
>>> Although that could come under "changing insights and skills".
>>>
>>
>> The latest is true as I now used DrJohn's "falling building syndrome" 
>> macro here, and de-rotated the camera. However, my ultimate objective 
>> was not to recreate the scene exactly. Evolution was allowed.
>>
> 
> Or do you mean intelligent re-design. ;-)
> No matter what a great improvement.
> 

LOL Good one!


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 09:14:37
Message: <5ab0d0fd$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/03/2018 08:44, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> LOL Good one!

:-D

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 12:00:22
Message: <5ab0f7d6$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote on 20/03/2018 08:43:
> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this lately 
> with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to change 
> some elements but the comparison over ten years of using POV-Ray are 
> notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.
> 
Now the sculptures are... alive!

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 12:04:13
Message: <5ab0f8bd$1@news.povray.org>
On 20-3-2018 13:00, Paolo Gibellini wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote on 20/03/2018 08:43:
>> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to 
>> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this 
>> lately with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to 
>> change some elements but the comparison over ten years of using 
>> POV-Ray are notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.
>>
> Now the sculptures are... alive!
> 

Yeah... the figures were never intended as sculptures but as children 
playing. :-/

It is an old memory from my own childhood in fact.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Norbert Kern
Subject: Re: N (Captain Nemo) revisited
Date: 20 Mar 2018 15:15:00
Message: <web.5ab124f3b126f8c96e10be6b0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Once in a while, I like to revisit an older scene and remodel it to
> current standards and my changing insights and skills. I did this lately
> with my entry to the TC-RTC back in 2008: "N". I still want to change
> some elements but the comparison over ten years of using POV-Ray are
> notable. Left, is the entry of 2008; right, the new version.
>
> --
> Thomas


Well done Thomas,

but by changing the camera point of view, most of the nice birds disappeared...
What I want to know is how you did your grass and plants - really nice.

Norbert


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.