POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : le Weekend Server Time: 28 May 2020 22:26:48 GMT
  le Weekend (Message 1 to 10 of 15)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: jr
Subject: le Weekend
Date: 15 May 2020 22:50:00
Message: <web.5ebf1c1a3bd00179a1c5a5c60@news.povray.org>
hi,

weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)


enjoy, jr.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'leweekend.mp4.mpg' (337 KB)

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 16 May 2020 14:09:54
Message: <5ebff432$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/15/20 6:47 PM, jr wrote:
> hi,
> 
> weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)
> 
> 
> enjoy, jr.
> 
Cool. :-)

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: Dick Balaska
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 16 May 2020 17:25:34
Message: <5ec0220e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 5/15/20 6:47 PM, also sprach jr:
> hi,
> 
> weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)
> 
> 
> enjoy, jr.
> 

I have to wait until the weekend?

-- 
dik
Rendered 49,882,521,600 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (100%)


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 17 May 2020 07:40:00
Message: <web.5ec0ea05a4da2707a1c5a5c60@news.povray.org>
hi,

William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> On 5/15/20 6:47 PM, jr wrote:
> > weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)
> >
> Cool. :-)

thanks.  fyi, the scene code crashes ("segfault") alpha.10064268 on one machine,
but not on another; the only difference being, afaict, the optimisation flags
provided in the package build scripts.  using "-march=core2" works (gcc 4.8.2),
using "-march=haswell" crashes (gcc 5.5.0).  :-)



Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> I have to wait until the weekend?

_you_ will have to wait 'til Wednesday!  :-)


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 17 May 2020 08:09:21
Message: <5ec0f131$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/17/20 3:38 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
> 
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 5/15/20 6:47 PM, jr wrote:
>>> weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)
>>>
>> Cool. :-)
> 
> thanks.  fyi, the scene code crashes ("segfault") alpha.10064268 on one machine,
> but not on another; the only difference being, afaict, the optimisation flags
> provided in the package build scripts.  using "-march=core2" works (gcc 4.8.2),
> using "-march=haswell" crashes (gcc 5.5.0).  :-)
> 

IIRC, the build scripts end up with -march=native by default. Are you 
offering us the compilers 'native' translation or did you specify those 
architectures specifically on the two machines?

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 17 May 2020 08:45:01
Message: <web.5ec0f924a4da2707a1c5a5c60@news.povray.org>
hi,

William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> On 5/17/20 3:38 AM, jr wrote:
> > fyi, the scene code crashes ("segfault") alpha.10064268 on one machine,
> > but not on another; ...
>
> IIRC, the build scripts end up with -march=native by default. Are you
> offering us the compilers 'native' translation or did you specify those
> architectures specifically on the two machines?

explicit spec.  Slackware package build scripts have a variable used to
set/append CFLAGS etc, I used the 'haswell' in both '-march' and '-mtune'.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 17 May 2020 09:30:31
Message: <5ec10437$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/17/20 4:43 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
> 
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 5/17/20 3:38 AM, jr wrote:
>>> fyi, the scene code crashes ("segfault") alpha.10064268 on one machine,
>>> but not on another; ...
>>
>> IIRC, the build scripts end up with -march=native by default. Are you
>> offering us the compilers 'native' translation or did you specify those
>> architectures specifically on the two machines?
> 
> explicit spec.  Slackware package build scripts have a variable used to
> set/append CFLAGS etc, I used the 'haswell' in both '-march' and '-mtune'.
> 

OK. This leads me to wonder what more, or less, these spawn than 
'native' given the compilers should do the right things with native for 
an optimized compile on the local machine.

In short, wondering if the hard coded architecture the problem?

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 17 May 2020 10:35:01
Message: <web.5ec112d6a4da2707a1c5a5c60@news.povray.org>
hi,

William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> ...
> In short, wondering if the hard coded architecture the problem?

very likely, although, as often, it's unclear whether "the fault" lies with the
compiler or the source.  guessing that some code (in spline, or text object) is
vulnerable wrt optimisation(s).  I will rebuild the alpha with 'core2' options,
sometime in the next few days; I expect the scene code will work then.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 18 May 2020 18:00:39
Message: <5ec2cd47$1@news.povray.org>
High!

On 16.05.20 00:47, jr wrote:
> hi,
> 
> weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)

Kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...kiff...

...waiting for the bus to Kabul!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: le Weekend
Date: 18 May 2020 18:02:54
Message: <5ec2cdce$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 17.05.20 09:38, jr wrote:
> hi,
> 
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 5/15/20 6:47 PM, jr wrote:
>>> weekend lockdown "advice".  :-)   (loop)
>>>
>> Cool. :-)
> 
> thanks.  fyi, the scene code crashes ("segfault") alpha.10064268 on one machine,
> but not on another; the only difference being, afaict, the optimisation flags
> provided in the package build scripts.  using "-march=core2" works (gcc 4.8.2),
> using "-march=haswell" crashes (gcc 5.5.0).  :-)

POVing under the influence? I'm not so sure...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.