POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Tronc Commun 3 Server Time: 19 Dec 2018 11:45:52 GMT
  Tronc Commun 3 (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: Eriban
Subject: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 24 Jul 2017 20:50:01
Message: <web.59765d3bee292253f591106d0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I want to share my latest puzzle animation with you. Tronc Commun 3 is the last
puzzle in a series of three designed by Gregory Benedetti. What these puzzles
have in common is their shape when assembled, as well as the two parts that
comprise the puzzle's trunk, hence the name.

This last puzzle in the series is by far the most difficult. The reason is that
it requires several rotational moves, including some very tricky ones. There are
several reasons why they are tricky. First, most lack a fixed rotation point.
They are joint translations and rotations, where the constraints that guide the
translation can even vary depending on the angle. Second, not all rotations are
multiples of ninety degrees. Third, the margins are narrow. Some rotations work
only because the pieces have slightly bevelled edges. See the top part of the
attached image. Finally, there's one rotation where to parts have to rotate
together, but each along a different axis. See the bottom part of the attached
image.

So, all in all, quite some trigonometric calculations were required to script
this. A fun challenge, and I am happy with the end result, which can be found
here: https://youtu.be/PSfEEZ-DSvQ

I hope you like it too!

Cheers,
Erwin


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'tronccommun-rotations.png' (600 KB)

Preview of image 'tronccommun-rotations.png'
tronccommun-rotations.png


 

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 24 Jul 2017 21:12:08
Message: <597662a8$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/24/2017 9:48 PM, Eriban wrote:
> I want to share my latest puzzle animation with you.

Mind-boggling! :)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 24 Jul 2017 23:55:00
Message: <web.597687b0c356a9f19c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Eriban" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> wrote:
> This last puzzle in the series is by far the most difficult. The reason is that
> it requires several rotational moves

Intriguing, and awesome. I've seen some of your others before. I like this kind
of thing in real life but unfortunately I'm more likely to break them or give up
so I avoid getting any other than as gifts.

No doubt this kind needing pivoting moves is especially interesting, so I'm
amazed anyone can model and animate such things.

I like the way they appear mesmerizing. Having seen many of your animations, and
I'm sure not all, have you thought about using speed changes for the piece
moves? Mainly the taking away or going together, to accelerate or decelerate
them.
I'm thinking of the clockmod.inc or macro from Chris Colefax, which I often rely
on for that. In fact, maybe adding motion blur via UberPOV or MegaPOV could be
possible. Only thing about that is the change might not be what you've intended
for the look of your animations so only a suggested idea... unless you've
already considered it before.

Anyway, thanks for making those puzzles move on their own so I don't have to do
that.. either in POV-Ray or RL!

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 25 Jul 2017 07:55:09
Message: <5976f95d$1@news.povray.org>
On 24-7-2017 22:48, Eriban wrote:

:-O

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 25 Jul 2017 09:10:01
Message: <web.59770a3cc356a9f1883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"Eriban" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> wrote:

>
> So, all in all, quite some trigonometric calculations were required to script
> this. A fun challenge, and I am happy with the end result, which can be found
> here: https://youtu.be/PSfEEZ-DSvQ
>

That is just jaw-droppingly amazing. I don't know what else to say! HOW you can
initially figure out the way it works, and THEN animate it is... beyond the
scope of mortal men. (Me, anyway!)

Just saw another of your puzzle animations here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR52unlUZAg

That one looks even more complicated (if that's possible!) You mention there
that it's "an ingenious 18-piece burr puzzle of level 62.4.21..."  Those must be
STAR TREK coordinates for playing 3-dimensional chess :-O

Excellent work!


Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 25 Jul 2017 09:30:00
Message: <web.59770ebbc356a9f19c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Just saw another of your puzzle animations here...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR52unlUZAg
>
> That one looks even more complicated (if that's possible!) You mention there
> that it's "an ingenious 18-piece burr puzzle of level 62.4.21..."  Those must be
> STAR TREK coordinates for playing 3-dimensional chess :-O

Analytical mind to do that sort of thing is what I was thinking before, now I'm
sure that would only be the how-to process. There's the end result achievement
too, more than just analysis.

Assembly of a Droid is another, I thought looked simple until it gets going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWX24K5p6w8

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 25 Jul 2017 09:36:09
Message: <59771109$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/25/2017 10:07 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> "Eriban" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> wrote:
>
>>
>> So, all in all, quite some trigonometric calculations were required to script
>> this. A fun challenge, and I am happy with the end result, which can be found
>> here: https://youtu.be/PSfEEZ-DSvQ
>>
>
> That is just jaw-droppingly amazing.

After a while you lose the ability to praise them.


> I don't know what else to say! HOW you can
> initially figure out the way it works, and THEN animate it is... beyond the
> scope of mortal men. (Me, anyway!)
>

You are not alone.

The choice of music adds to the pace.



-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Eriban
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 25 Jul 2017 19:40:01
Message: <web.59779d88c356a9f1f591106d0@news.povray.org>
Firstly, thanks all for the kind praise!

"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> I like the way they appear mesmerizing. Having seen many of your animations, and
> I'm sure not all, have you thought about using speed changes for the piece
> moves? Mainly the taking away or going together, to accelerate or decelerate
> them.

I have used part acceleration and deceleration before. In fact, it's even
enabled in this animation, although very subtle and hardly noticeable, and a few
move changes especially are still too abrupt. If I would have spent more time on
this animation, that would be the first thing to improve. But there's always a
balance between striving for perfection, or considering it good enough and
moving on to a next project. Maybe I should have spent a bit more time on it...

"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR52unlUZAg
>
> That one looks even more complicated (if that's possible!) You mention there
> that it's "an ingenious 18-piece burr puzzle of level 62.4.21..."  Those must be
> STAR TREK coordinates for playing 3-dimensional chess :-O

Condor's Peeper indeed requires more moves (62 to release the first piece, four
for the next, and 21 for the third... there's that mystery spoilt). Especially
when trying to assemble the puzzle unaided it's a much more difficult puzzle. On
the other hand, a computer can easily solve Condor's Peeper, but will be stuck
trying to solve Tronc Commun 3 because of the (complex) rotational moves that
are required.

Btw, Condor's Peeper is still relatively easy. Its cousin Super Nova
(https://youtu.be/l_Rt7A7E_6Q) is currently the 18-piece burr puzzle that holds
the world record with 166 moves to free the first part.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Tronc Commun 3
Date: 17 Jan 2018 02:50:00
Message: <web.5a5eb988c356a9f15cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I just saw this recently, and immediately thought of you  :)

"This lock requires 250 steps to open it! - Schloss 250"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF1LALdhkn0

Seems like it's right up your alley - enjoy!


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.