POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Photometric lights IES / LDT data file or custom falloff curve feature? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Photometric lights IES / LDT data file or custom falloff curve feature? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Mr
Subject: Photometric lights IES / LDT data file or custom falloff curve feature?
Date: 25 Jan 2013 08:35:01
Message: <web.5102897ada45904bed29e82f0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
Is there yet any way to pass a custom / photometric light falloff data to POV

-If not, maybe it could be done by entering a spline for the radius/falloff of a
spotlight for artistic effects (this is also good for integration with Blender's
interface, I could then use Blender custom curve or create that curve frome ies
files directly in Blender exporter)?

-Or, maybe it's planned for POV to simply support ies and ldt files provided by
lamp manufacturers?

The most recent information I could find about these are :

- This old Dialux patch :
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3ce12f7e%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=7

- And this "more recent" (2008) one by delle:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.47fb27957c39099227eef15b0@news.povray.org%3E/

Post a reply to this message

> Is there yet any way to pass a custom / photometric light falloff data to POV
>
> -If not, maybe it could be done by entering a spline for the radius/falloff of a
> spotlight for artistic effects (this is also good for integration with Blender's
> interface, I could then use Blender custom curve or create that curve frome ies
> files directly in Blender exporter)?
>

> -Or, maybe it's planned for POV to simply support ies and ldt files provided by
> lamp manufacturers?
>

> The most recent information I could find about these are :
>
> - This old Dialux patch :

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3ce12f7e%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=7

> - And this "more recent" (2008) one by delle:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.47fb27957c39099227eef15b0@news.povray.org%3E/

What did once in the past was to put a sphere around my light source that had
transparency mapped to it based on the IES profile.  I did edit the IES profile
to a specific format though so that POV knew what to expect from it.