POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : focal blur only using HexGrid2Size? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:49:05 EDT (-0400)
  focal blur only using HexGrid2Size? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: John
Subject: focal blur only using HexGrid2Size?
Date: 10 Jan 2013 13:00:01
Message: <web.50ef00ffa5b53a95443c81420@news.povray.org>
When I blur a sphere, it looks like HexGrid2Size is used regardless of
camera.Blur_Samples (see tracepixel.cpp). That is, far enough out-of-focus I see
only the first hexagonal pattern with a center defined by static const Vector2d
HexGrid2[HexGrid2Size]. I would expect to see the 19 and 37 grids for
blur_samples >= 19 and 37 respectively. With blur_samples 7, it looks correct,
i.e. it's using HexGrid2Size. I don't think the huge-ish sphere distance makes
any difference, i.e. you can see this with closer objects. I see this in
3.7.0RC6 Unofficial (Universal 64 bit) Dec 14 2012, but I think official 3.6
Linux does it too. Here's a sample

#include "shapes.inc"
#include "colors.inc"

global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }

camera {
   perspective
   location <0, 0, 0>
   look_at <0, 1000, 0>
   angle 30/60/60
   aperture 1.1
   blur_samples 37 // see tracepixel.cpp for 7, 19, 37 HexGrid.
   focal_point <0, 9100, 0> // out-of-focus
}

sphere { <0, 100000, 0>, 1
   texture {
   pigment { checker color Red }
   }
}

light_source { <0,99990,0>, <1,1,1>*10000 }

Post a reply to this message