POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Please put back the command line error messages Server Time
29 Apr 2024 19:52:02 EDT (-0400)
  Please put back the command line error messages (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Please put back the command line error messages
Date: 2 Nov 2012 12:55:02
Message: <web.5093f9d9e429c6af85de7b680@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray 3.7 does not give sufficient information when there is an error on the
command line.  When I issue a line such as:

   povray 'spine.ini[Atlas superior]' rainbow.ini

I get back:

   Problem with option setting
   povray spine.ini[Atlas superior] rainbow.ini
   Failed to parse command-line option

Usually in such situations, I can stare at the screen for 5, 10 minutes until my
eyeballs bleed, and then I figure out what I overlooked or where my pinky finger
slipped.  But I shouldn't even have to do that.  And now, in the above case, I'm
stumped.  I just can't figure out what's wrong with the command line.

POV-Ray 3.6 always gave sufficient information; at a glance, I could spot the
error.  But in the above case, 3.6 ran successfully.  Something must have
changed in the front end between 3.6 and 3.7, but I can't tell what, especially
since a command line that was perfectly legal in 3.6 no longer works.

I've seen this issue raised before (and FS#41 was issued, but it was closed).
In two cases, the error was in the front end itself (FS#194 and FS#234), and it
was up to the users to figure out that they did nothing wrong.  I'll ask again:
can we please have our error messages back?

POV-Ray version: 3.7.RC6
Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1

The above case is from a set of scenes that I haven't worked with for several
years.  These are the relevant .ini files:

===== spine.ini ==================================

Version=3.6
+is!spine.pov
+L/home/ricky/Documents/POV-Ray/skeleton ;This isn't the problem,
                                         ;because it works in 3.6.
+w180 +h180

[Lateral/d]
+ospine-l +h540
declare=Yaw=90
declare=Lift=0.2
declare=Nudge=0.5

[Dorsal]
+ospine-d +h540
declare=Yaw=0
declare=Lift=0.2

[Lateral/v]
+ospine+l +h540
declare=Yaw=-90
declare=Lift=0.2
declare=Nudge=-0.5

[Oblique]
+ospine-o +h540
declare=Yaw=-135
declare=Lift=0.2
declare=Nudge=-0.3

[Ventral]
+ospine-v +h540
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Lift=0.2

[Atlas superior]
+ovc1-s +w210
declare=vStart=23
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-90.0
declare=Lift=-0.1
declare=Height=2.8

[Axis superior]
+ovc2-s
declare=vStart=22
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-90.0
declare=Lift=-0.3

[C3 superior]
+ovc3-s
declare=vStart=21
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-88.11
declare=Lift=-0.25
declare=Height=2.3

[C4 superior]
+ovc4-s
declare=vStart=20
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-84.75
declare=Lift=-0.3
declare=Height=2.4

[C5 superior]
+ovc5-s
declare=vStart=19
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-80.34
declare=Lift=-0.35
declare=Height=2.5

[C6 superior]
+ovc6-s
declare=vStart=18
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-75.30
declare=Lift=-0.4
declare=Height=2.6

[C7 superior]
+ovc7-s
declare=vStart=17
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-70.05
declare=Lift=-0.45

[T1 superior]
+ovt1-s
declare=vStart=16
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-65.01
declare=Lift=-0.4

[T2 superior]
+ovt2-s
declare=vStart=15
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-65.0
declare=Lift=-0.3

[T3 superior]
+ovt3-s
declare=vStart=14
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-70.7
declare=Lift=-0.15

[T4 superior]
+ovt4-s
declare=vStart=13
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-76.1
declare=Lift=0

[T5 superior]
+ovt5-s
declare=vStart=12
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-81.2
declare=Lift=0.05

[T6 superior]
+ovt6-s
declare=vStart=11
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-86.0
declare=Lift=0.10

[T7 superior]
+ovt7-s
declare=vStart=10
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-90.5
declare=Lift=0.07

[T8 superior]
+ovt8-s
declare=vStart=9
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-94.7
declare=Lift=0.04

[T9 superior]
+ovt9-s
declare=vStart=8
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-98.6
declare=Lift=0.01

[T10 superior]
+ovt10-s
declare=vStart=7
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-102.2
declare=Lift=-0.02

[T11 superior]
+ovt11-s
declare=vStart=6
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-105.5
declare=Lift=-0.05

[T12 superior]
+ovt12-s
declare=vStart=5
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-108.5
declare=Lift=-0.1

[L1 superior]
+ovl1-s
declare=vStart=4
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-105.8
declare=Lift=-0.15

[L2 superior]
+ovl2-s
declare=vStart=3
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-101.1
declare=Lift=-0.15

[L3 superior]
+ovl3-s
declare=vStart=2
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-94.4
declare=Lift=-0.10

[L4 superior]
+ovl4-s
declare=vStart=1
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-85.7
declare=Lift=-0.05

[L5 superior]
+ovl5-s
declare=vStart=0
declare=Dbg=1
declare=Yaw=180
declare=Pitch=-75

===== rainbow.ini ================================

+a0.1 -j
declare=sotdw=0.5

declare=mVC1=439
declare=mVC2=430
declare=mVC3=21
declare=mVC4=23
declare=mVC5=25
declare=mVC6=26
declare=mVC7=487

declare=mVT=430
declare=mVT1=439
declare=mVT9=431
declare=mVT10=433
declare=mVT11=435
declare=mVT12=437

declare=mVL1=439
declare=mVL2=431
declare=mVL3=433
declare=mVL4=435
declare=mVL5=437

Post a reply to this message

Am 02.11.2012 17:50, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> POV-Ray 3.7 does not give sufficient information when there is an error on the
> command line.  When I issue a line such as:
>
>     povray 'spine.ini[Atlas superior]' rainbow.ini
>
> I get back:
>
>     Problem with option setting
>     povray spine.ini[Atlas superior] rainbow.ini
>     Failed to parse command-line option

Please try

     povray '"spine.ini[Atlas superior]"' rainbow.ini

see FS#42; I did notice this unexpected behaviour a while ago, but
didn't realize until now that it is actually an error (being different
in behaviour from 3.6), so originally it was categorized and titled as a
feature request.

Post a reply to this message