POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Window: Improvement Proposal Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Render Window: Improvement Proposal (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Render Window: Improvement Proposal
Date: 26 Oct 2012 18:20:00
Message: <web.508b0c67671317d6547293b10@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I like the current Beta version as it is. But I also have one proposal for a
quite useful improvement of the render window.

1. Instead of countless squares in the background (or maybe in addition to them)
I have a need to have a coordinate system there. This way, if we users want to
render just a part of a scene, we can always select the intended area by
remembering the frame position on the coordinate system, even if there was an
aborted or faulty render in between.

2. It might be useful, to work with a lasso frame tool (like in Adobe Photoshop)
instead of a rectangular frame, so the user can minimize render time through the
individually needed shape for the area to be rendered.

Post a reply to this message

> 2. It might be useful, to work with a lasso frame tool (like in Adobe Photoshop)
> instead of a rectangular frame, so the user can minimize render time through the
> individually needed shape for the area to be rendered.

I think that would be quite a major feature (especially since there would
have to be a command line argument that could be used to specify such a
freeform region...)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Instead of countless squares in the background (or maybe in addition
> to them)
> I have a need to have a coordinate system there. This way, if we users
> want to render just a part of a scene, we can always select the intended
> area by remembering the frame position on the coordinate system, even if
> there was an aborted or faulty render in between.
I guess you are using the Windows version because Mac Unofficial already
has a feature to cut a square/rectangle in the preview window.
Coordinates are then set in the rendering pref panel (x, y, width and
height) to render just that area.

Yvo

--
-----------------------------------
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 27 Oct 2012 14:27:32
Message: <508c2794$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> I like the current Beta version as it is. But I also have one proposal for a
> quite useful improvement of the render window.
>
> 1. Instead of countless squares in the background (or maybe in addition to them)
> I have a need to have a coordinate system there. This way, if we users want to
> render just a part of a scene, we can always select the intended area by
> remembering the frame position on the coordinate system, even if there was an
> aborted or faulty render in between.
>
> 2. It might be useful, to work with a lasso frame tool (like in Adobe Photoshop)
> instead of a rectangular frame, so the user can minimize render time through the
> individually needed shape for the area to be rendered.

If you want to render a specific part of an image, and keep that part
for successive renders, you can hold the shift key as you draw the
sellection rectangle.
Next time you use the Run button, it will render only that area.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Oct 2012 03:36:51
Message: <508ce093$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-10-2012 20:28, Alain wrote:
> If you want to render a specific part of an image, and keep that part
> for successive renders, you can hold the shift key as you draw the
> sellection rectangle.
> Next time you use the Run button, it will render only that area.

You made my day! I did not know that, about the shift button! Where, in
the Docs, is this described? I cannot find it. Also, how do you return
to full image render?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Oct 2012 04:00:37
Message: <508ce625$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/10/2012 7:36 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> You made my day! I did not know that, about the shift button! Where, in
> the Docs, is this described? I cannot find it. Also, how do you return
> to full image render?

Help 3.1.2.2.3 Partial Output Options

It puts a command into the command box like (+sc0.142678 +sr0.143573
+ec0.339174 +er0.275459)

To get back to full image, just remove the command.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Oct 2012 04:35:01
Message: <508cee35$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-10-2012 9:00, Stephen wrote:
> Help 3.1.2.2.3 Partial Output Options
>
> It puts a command into the command box like (+sc0.142678 +sr0.143573
> +ec0.339174 +er0.275459)
>
> To get back to full image, just remove the command.

Right! I know about this section indeed and I often use thes command
line options. However, the /shift/ trick is /not/ described there  :-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Oct 2012 05:30:56
Message: <508cfb50$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/10/2012 8:34 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Right! I know about this section indeed and I often use thes command
> line options. However, the /shift/ trick is /not/ described there :-)

I found it by accident when I selected an area on the image and a pop up
window appeared, with the info.
Maybe it is the "Easter Egg" that I never found.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Oct 2012 07:38:36
Message: <508d193c$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-10-2012 10:30, Stephen wrote:
> Maybe it is the "Easter Egg" that I never found.

It must be indeed, but one worth its weight in POV-gold...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Oct 2012 11:31:13
Message: <508d4fc1$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Right! I know about this section indeed and I often use thes command
> line options. However, the /shift/ trick is /not/ described there  :-)

well ... I at least learned it from the message box that pops up
directly after you drag *without* shift. But then, I have the bad habit
of checking the entire text before accepting anything with "OK" ;)