POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : povray 3.7 Mac beta heat/fan running Server Time
29 Apr 2024 16:14:17 EDT (-0400)
  povray 3.7 Mac beta heat/fan running (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: HenryW
Subject: povray 3.7 Mac beta heat/fan running
Date: 3 Oct 2012 14:55:01
Message: <web.506c8983b7e7cb13c69dc6290@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I recently started using the Mac build of 3.7 RC5 and RC6 posted on this beta
group. I'm running on a Mac Book Pro, 4GB, OS X 10.7.4. When rendering scenes
the laptop internal fan starts almost immediately and runs the entire time a
scene is rendering. Is this expected due to all the calculations going on in
POV?

Thanks,
Henry

Post a reply to this message

HenryW <pov### [at] henrywagnerorg> wrote:
> I recently started using the Mac build of 3.7 RC5 and RC6 posted on this beta
> group. I'm running on a Mac Book Pro, 4GB, OS X 10.7.4. When rendering scenes
> the laptop internal fan starts almost immediately and runs the entire time a
> scene is rendering. Is this expected due to all the calculations going on in
> POV?

POV-Ray is using 100% of your CPU, so it's completely normal for it to
heat up. There's nothing dangerous about that.

Launch Activity Monitor while POV-Ray is running and see the CPU usage
tab there to see how much is being used.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> HenryW <pov### [at] henrywagnerorg> wrote:
> > I recently started using the Mac build of 3.7 RC5 and RC6 posted on this beta
> > group. I'm running on a Mac Book Pro, 4GB, OS X 10.7.4. When rendering scenes
> > the laptop internal fan starts almost immediately and runs the entire time a
> > scene is rendering. Is this expected due to all the calculations going on in
> > POV?
>
> POV-Ray is using 100% of your CPU, so it's completely normal for it to
> heat up. There's nothing dangerous about that.
>
> Launch Activity Monitor while POV-Ray is running and see the CPU usage
> tab there to see how much is being used.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Cool, thanks. Activity Manager shows POV using all 4 CPU cores, all at 100% :)

Henry

Post a reply to this message

HenryW <pov### [at] henrywagnerorg> wrote:

> I recently started using the Mac build of 3.7 RC5 and RC6 posted on this beta
> group. I'm running on a Mac Book Pro, 4GB, OS X 10.7.4. When rendering scenes
> the laptop internal fan starts almost immediately and runs the entire time a
> scene is rendering. Is this expected due to all the calculations going on in
> POV?

Normal.
POV-Ray is one of the few programs that is able to use all the cores at
100%, 24 on some Pro models!
Make sure that you have the latest version, currently it is RC6_r2 which
fixes a very nasty memory leak.

Yvo

--
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net