POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Clock precision wrong? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 23:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Clock precision wrong? (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Clock precision wrong?
Date: 29 Jun 2011 15:59:21
Message: <4e0b8419@news.povray.org>
> On 27.06.11 08:14, Warp wrote:
> >    The difference is subtle, but exists.

> Yes, at that point there will also be a difference in the computation. It
> will be noticeable above 10 million frames (10**7), which is 46 hours for a
> 60 fps animation. This is due to the clock value being transmitted as 32-bit
> float while the computation is done with 64-bit floats. Thus, to see the
> error, you need to exceed the precision limit of the 64-bit float, which is
> about eight decimal digits greater than that of a 32-bit float.

  Nope. All you need to do to get a noticeable rounding error is to see
if the clock value in the final frame is 1.0.

  Is not using the more accurate method a matter of principle or something?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Thorsten Froehlich<tho### [at] trfde>  wrote:
>> On 27.06.11 08:14, Warp wrote:
>>>     The difference is subtle, but exists.
>
>> Yes, at that point there will also be a difference in the computation. It
>> will be noticeable above 10 million frames (10**7), which is 46 hours for a
>> 60 fps animation. This is due to the clock value being transmitted as 32-bit
>> float while the computation is done with 64-bit floats. Thus, to see the
>> error, you need to exceed the precision limit of the 64-bit float, which is
>> about eight decimal digits greater than that of a 32-bit float.
>
>    Nope. All you need to do to get a noticeable rounding error is to see
> if the clock value in the final frame is 1.0.

??? As I said, you will see that error above roughly 10**7 frames.

	Thorsten